fan dirt filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan dirt filters

I know they're cheap, but what are they made of? I wonder if I have anything laying around the house that would work the same.

I'd call it plastic fibre mesh... here is a shot of my fan dirt filter from the front of my Lian Li PC70, which I just happened to clear of dust yesterday.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Good hardware stores carry the stuff and it's cheap. ;)

Comment

great, thanks!

Comment

does the stuff actually work? and does it affect the fans' cfm?

Comment

You'll have to clean it out regularly and replace it when cleanin' no longer helps. ;)
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Malabooboo
              does the stuff actually work? and does it affect the fans' cfm?
              It works an absolute charm for me, although like Wiggo said - you must clean it every month as it clogs up quickly with dust.
              Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

'went to home depot today (biggest hardware store around here), and they had no idea what I was talking about.

are there any places I can order the stuff from? maybe I should just spend the $2.00 and get the ones premade for fans at frys...

Comment

Talk to your mom - wife - sister - friend of the female persuasion and get an old pair of nylons from them.

Cut a piece out of it, stretch it tight across the front of the fan and hold in place with a rubber band.
                  It will stop a good deal of dust and it's practically free to you. Never have to clean it, just throw it away and cut out a new piece to use - 1 pair will cover a fan a lot of times. Gals are always wearing out nylons so you got an endless supply of fan filters.
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

hey, now THAT's an idea!

Comment

I always found it hard to get the missus to wear the black ones (a redhead of course) as the other colours looked dreadful thru fan grills (unless stealthed of course). I believe the other material you ask for is aircon filter sheeting (I'm not sure of the proper name for it but that's what it's mainly used for, replacin' worn out aircon filters) and it comes in various grades of filterin'. ;)

Comment

You cant also get from Home Depot a green scrub stuff that works great. Its like the scrubbing stuff that is on the back of your dish sponge. Home Depot used to sell it in bundle of ten sheets for about 5 dollars, one sheet is about enough to do one entire computer....

On a side bar...why does my computer have filters on the exhaust? Lmao cant figure that one out....

Comment

I'd take them off then as any dust that wants to escape my cases is most welcome to do so.

Comment

what about those aluminum fan filters? Are those better?

Comment

About the same but more durable. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X