Open Drive Slots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Drive Slots?

Could leaving a drive slot open in the front of the case increase airflow?

It really depends on the pressure maintained in the case.

If you have negative pressure (more exaust then intake) then yes it will cuase a suction effect through any opening. This isn't necessarily good becuase a big opening like that will cuase alot of unwanted stuff to get in. Things like dust dirt fingers who knows........ Now on the other hand if you have positive pressure in the case (more intake then exaust) then that big opening will act as a vent in it self. I know this for a fact cuase I have positive pressure in my case and I have no floppy drive. And guess what. Air comes out of that whole like it has a small fan mounted in it.

Comment

So if I were to leave open the floppy bay (no flop either) it might work? I should give it a shot at least because I don't have that good of cooling and I'm trying to get some good overclocking from my vid card. I'm planning on buy some more fans, 3 currently. So we'll see.

Comment

leaving opening in your case will subject the interior to more emi...but on the front it'll probably not be a big deal...it's only on the back (near the cards and chipset and such) that it could cause a problem

Comment

More emi? what's emi?

Comment

Electro Magnet Interference. ;)

But they don't put out much but open it up and point a deskfan into it and see what happens. :D

Comment

yep, it can cause all kinds of problems...like corrupt data

Comment

Not likely with a more modern deskfan but it will show if temps improve or not. :p
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

haha... not really sure I have any desk fans or anything laying around, but I'll see if I can find anything, for kicks ya know.

Comment

Hey Wiggo! A bit off topic ... but while we are on the subject of magnets (or electromagnets) causing problems .... Is that a phone on the side of your workshop PC? Does the speaker magnet not have the potential to cause problems?

Just curious ... esp. since I have on several occasions given my children a hard time about putting the phone on my 'puter.
                    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Speakers give off so little magnetism that it should effect it. I mean I have noticed that when moving my speakers from my stereo next to the TV it makes the sides turn green and stuff like that but that's about it. A phone I don't really know what picture your talkinga bout but a phone gives off a little. Now you would think that motors run off magnetism and what about the motor in the hdd? You would think that would cuase data defects but I'm sure that's shielded off. Or the motor in the floppy drive? Or the speaker in the case. Its all at low enough levels to not matter at all OR its shielded...

Comment

Was looking at the pic of the workshop pc in Wiggo's sig. He has a phone attached to the side of the 'puter. As far as getting speakers too close to the TV ... be carefull ... they can cause permanent damage eventually. That discoloration can become a fixture on the screen.
                        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

saw that pic of wiggo's case w/ the phone...that's got to be a first for me, seen a lot of things stuck on a case before , but not a phone :cheers:

Comment

I don't think that it would cause a prob as there are 2 x 1.0mm sheets off steal plus 3 layers of plastic between the speaker and the hard drive is much lower down. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                              I don't think that it would cause a prob as there are 2 x 1.0mm sheets off steal plus 3 layers of plastic between the speaker and the hard drive is much lower down. ;)
                              Nothing to worry about, try it...;)

Comment

Working...
                              X