HSF w/ or w/o goop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSF w/ or w/o goop

Alright, I'm curious to know if you get a HSF and it has like a copperbottom or already has a substance on the bottom (forgot name) do you really need to apply the thermal compound? I think I remember reading in my little AMD manual when I got my retail cpu that I shouldn't apply any good because I already had the stuff on the bottom. I don't think my cpu is in danger because I think it would've already fried by now. Just curious.

What do you mean by stuff on the bottom?

Many HSF's come with thermal tape on the bottom, or come with a small tube of thermal paste. Now if you wont be overclocking or pushing performance higher than stock then the thermal tape is fine(a good paste is still better). If your going to push performance then you should definately use a good thermal paste like Artic Siver III. If you arent using anything at all between the heatsink and cpu then you're very likely insane

Comment

Thermal tape sounds like the stuff alright. It definitely told me not to use anything with the thermal tape on the bottom. I've had the computer up and running for about a week or two now. Since Christmas, so I don't think there's any problem. I am thinking about getting a new HSF soon, maybe volcano 7 or 9, something like that. Add some extra thermal paste then.

Comment

If you already have a TIM (Thermal Interface Material) in place it would do no good to apply an additional layer. In fact that would most likely be counterproductive and cause more problems than good. 1 at a time for sure.

If the goop you are referring to is a tape type TIM, it is to be considered better than nothing, but not optimum by far.

If it is a typical paste like interface material it would likely be better than the tape. Always use the paste-type for best results.

If you are truly concerned about the welfare of your procesor (and you should be, they cost considerable money after all) most folks do prefer to get a good quality heat-sink paste instead of the no-name provided by the manufacturer.

The Artic Silver III that Osmodius reccomends is in fact 1 of the better ones on the market.

If you should decide to venture into applying a different TIM some very good instruction on how to do so can be had at this link;

Whew, windy ain't I :laugh:
        Short answer; Don't use anything in addition to what you have, but you may want to consider using something different --- but only after the complete removal of the existing "goop".
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

It's not thermal paste, I've worked with that before. I know the difference. It came on the HSF that came with the retail processor and I had to remove some warning thing on it too. Don't remember what it said exactly. And like I said in the post before, I'm probably going buy another HSF soon anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X