Heatsink Fan on Globalwin CAK4-88T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatsink Fan on Globalwin CAK4-88T

Well, after a round of advice from Wiggo and others, I installed a new heatsink/fan from Globalwin on my Athlon XP 1700+. Nice looking, copper heatsink, lights, thermal sensor.Although it's not what was recommended, I read good reviews on another site about how quiet and efficient it was.... blah blah blah. After installing, there doesn't seem to be any difference in my CPU temps...well, nothing that can't be attributed to me upgrading the rear exhaust fan from a 60mm to an 80mm with an adapter, turning my new Enermax 350watt FCA PSU the right side up and reapplying Arctic Silver to the HS the RIGHT way. A couple things I noticed are...the temperature sensor on the fan doesn't slow it down any. Either it doesn't work and the fan is at default maximum speed, or the fact that the fan blows AWAY from the heatsink is affecting the temp sensor. I'd never seen a HS fan blow out before. Is that common? Effective? Should I swap the fan around? I still don't have enough case cooling, as when I do a case side off test, it drops several degrees, to under 100F. Writing this it's hovering at 107F. Kinda disappointing. Did I mention that the fan running at 5000 RPM is LOUD? I'm mostly concerned with the CPU temp. I'd like to have it cooler, and I don't want to buy yet another HSF....any suggestions?:cry:

A few HSF's suck instead of blow (Alpha is one that likes to suck) but really the 70mm fan on the Volcano 7+ is preferable to any high speed 60mm fan that I've come across.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hey Wiggo! Wow...got the MAN himself....
      OK, I did a few trials myself....using my sister's new PC I'm building as a test bench...he he he. The fan does indeed blow onto the HS. I think there's just a lot of spillage that makes it appear to be blowing out. It's an 80mm fan, and the thermal sensor seems to work. I can grab it with my fingers and the fan speeds up....OUTside the case, anyway. Once it's installed, it never slows down. I checked the stats, and the fan is supposed to run from 2500RPM to max at 4000RPM...my BIOS hardware monitor shows it constantly running at 5000+RPM. I have no idea why this is. I didn't modify the HSF and the sensor is in the stock position, right on the edge of the copper HS base. The fan is plugged into the PSU with a 4 pin, and then onto the CPU 3 pin on the motherboard for fan monitoring. Ya think I'm getting too much voltage? The manufacturer specifically recommends to NOT plug directly to the motherboard with only the 3 pin connector, but it seemed to run fine when tested either way. I'm still perplexed....:?: :( :confused: :cry:

Comment

Maybe "the MAN himself" (your words not mine ;) ) is not goin' to give ya a reply that ya goin' to like though this time. :p

That manufacturer has sense then as no fan (other than the small chipset ones) should be powered by the mobo. :thumb:

I'm sorry but I have a bad opinion on both thermal sensin' fans and fan adaptors so I'll make none of my usual comments here on the waste of money that I believe they are as then I may start on ya mobo as well. :devil:

To fix the fan prob why not just cut the sensor off, join the two wires together (results in full speed only) and then add a 7v/12/v fan switch? Works for me with noisy HS 60mm fans but is likely why I like 7+'s so much. :devil win

Comment

LMAO....OK, OK....ya got me. I did mention that this is the first PC I've put together. I'm already eying better Mobos, but as basic or lackluster as this board may be, I'd still like to get it working as well as it's capable of. I promise...NEXT time I build a system, I'll post my specs for critical review before I foolishly waste my money on the eye-candy, or what SEEMS like a good deal. The temp IS lower now, and after a little case modding adding adjustable speed fans (I'll address that CPU fan then), things should be at an acceptable level. Overall, if I didn't KNOW the case and CPU temps, I'd be completely happy with the system. No more lockups, plenty of power, plays every game I throw at it. It's just hard to resist tinkering with it. Hmmmm....maybe I should just disconnect all the temp sensors. Maybe THEN I'd be happy....lol
          (OK, I have to use these emoticons per my kids' request)
          :shoot3: :snip:

Comment

Yes we do learn from our mistakes (see Boys' Room link) but maybe checkin' out Thunder, Server and Loungeroom PC links in my sig may give ya a few ideas though nearly my whole network will be shortly rearranged and rebuilt plus they've taken every game the kids have thrown at them (they try to use them at every opportunity but Thunder would be a midrange gamer with the other two as budget gamers).

Comment

Checked out your links, and wondered what exactly happened with your loungeroom machine? Same board as mine and my sis's, though my machine outdoes even Thunder in 3D Mark with a 9055....what's so bad about it?
              :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by [color=blue
                Wordbiker[/color]]
                Checked out your links, and wondered what exactly happened with your loungeroom machine? Same board as mine and my sis's, though my machine outdoes even Thunder in 3D Mark with a 9055....what's so bad about it?
                I think that ya better look again as Thunder scores over 11K and what happened with my Loungeroom one? Does pretty good with a GF4 MX440. :confused:

Comment

:rolleyes: :?: :rolleyes2 MY mistake...I got them mixed up...Sheesh! With 6 machines, how am I expected to keep them all straight! Or are there more?!?!
                  OK, It was the Boy's Room machine that has the same Mobo as mine. I was just wondering what was wrong with the board? You mentioned it as though it was a mistake. As for my score, I thought Thunder and Server were the same machine, but apparently I only beat the server's 3D Mark score...:mad:
                  That's IT! Thunder's days are numbered....:p

Comment

Working...
                  X