Shuttle XPC SK41G problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle XPC SK41G problem

In my new barebone system, my processor keeps over heating and my whole machine soon shuts down. I have a heat pipe with this mini barebone and it still overheats and I have also tried the heatsink and fan that came with my AMD Athlon XP processor 2000+ but it still keeps overheating. I am not sure what to do. Some thermal compound stuff came with the barebone but it never said anything about using it on the heatsink in the manual. It didn't even come with a heatsink and fan, the processor did. This came with a heat pipe that goes to the cpu. I did everything correct installing the heat pipe over the cpu and everything. It shouldn't be overheating. what do I do?

This sounds like a very similar problem i have heard a few times before, but as just a thought, have you checked the voltage settings on the mobo to see if they are higher than the cpu?
    it should say right on the amd box what the voltage is, so if its that, then just set it to whatever the core voltage supposed to be, ie if box says 3.4 v core than set the mobo to 3.4v core or as close as you can get to the listed number but remember to always round down if the motherboard voltage settings arent exactly what you need, cause nobody likes hash brown athlons.

..::pr0ph3t::..

Hyperlan

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I already solved the problem. It was the thermal grease I forgot to put on the cpu to attach to the heatsink part of the heat pipe.

Comment

sure thing, i hate it when i forget the heat sink compound
        be sure to always apply it liberally.
        pr0

Comment

Originally posted by pr0ph3t
          be sure to always apply it liberally.
          pr0

...do not apply it liberally - a very thin layer works best

Comment

Yes, too much has the opposite effect. :no:

Comment

I just did it the way it was done in the book. It looks like I skipped a step. :)

Comment

lol i thought liberally meant Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes so i meant to say for him not to follow given directions of smotherinng it but to apply an amount specific to your heatsink and not to the proccessors specs, as in if the HS box says apply x-amount then apply x-amount because that is what will be dooing the cooling as the proccessor box has just a recommended amount, i do know btw that to much is bad, i was just using the strict definition of liberally. see Liberally @ dictionary.com

pr0

ps sorry if i was misunderstood, i didnt mean apply lots of thermal cpompound/paste just to do it with regards to proccessor.

Comment

srry bout posting twice my computer froze i thought it didnt post
                  :: pr0 ::

Comment

Froze did it? Not too much liberally with the AS3 then? Soz just foolin' with ya.

I deleted the double for ya anyway. :devil:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

At first I put a thick layer on the cpu but then it still got kind of hot, but it helped, but then I took off the heat pipe and I thinned it out and it was really thin. I put the heatpipe back on and I closed my case and I tested the temperature of the CPU again. Now I get 116-125 degrees farenheit, depending on what I use my CPU for. I got 135-142 degrees when I applied a thick layer of thermal compound on the cpu.

Comment

I usually find that you'll get another drop in temp in 36-72hrs when AS3 finally cures (not much but usually a notable 1-2C anyway). ;)
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by pr0ph3t
                          lol i thought liberally meant Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes so i meant to say for him not to follow given directions of smotherinng it but to apply an amount specific to your heatsink and not to the proccessors specs, as in if the HS box says apply x-amount then apply x-amount because that is what will be dooing the cooling as the proccessor box has just a recommended amount, i do know btw that to much is bad, i was just using the strict definition of liberally. see Liberally @ dictionary.com

pr0

ps sorry if i was misunderstood, i didnt mean apply lots of thermal cpompound/paste just to do it with regards to proccessor.
                          this is from your dictionary link - and what most people would assume you ment by "applying Liberally"

Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
                          Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes

Comment

yah but thats from the third ranked definition, they are ranked according to common usage, or at least most common usage online.

pr0

Comment

And maybe a few s help? :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X