Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd xp cooling?

Hey guys
    I am planning on buliding a new pc so i am about to order a AMD XP 2400+ cpu Retail which comes with a regular fan and heatsink, but i was wondering if that can be all for my cooling, because i always hear people talk about copper shims and thermal grease, you know stuff like that. So am i gonna get all those stuff in my retail package? and if not, do i have to get them or can the heatsink and fan provided be enough?

it might be from googlegear.com

Well to start off the Retail Package includes just a aluminum heatsink and a tiny fan from AMD with some Cheap T.I.M. tape. With very good case cooling your stock cooler should be ok. My suggestion to you is to purchase an OEM amd 2400+ (which brings nothing but the cpu itself) and save the money to get your self a Volcano 7+ or Volcano 9 from ThermalTake. Another thing i must add is to stay away from copper shims. If you must get one then go with NON- conductive shims. Copper shims tend to retain heat around the core the processor which is not a good thing. Oh, and buy yourself some Artic Silver if you are going with a third party cooler.

Hope that Helps:)
    - Damien

Comment

Well there is a copper base to the retail HSF's but the quality of design is sadly lackin'. Do go with the OEM CPU and Volcano 7+ plus AS3 if ya can. Oh and forget the shim as only idiots use them to screw up better. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

<-------idiot...LOL

I used a shim the first time i built one...LOL:laugh:
        - Damien

Comment

I have a thermaltake shim and my temps are fine, i thought it was a better bet than crushing my CPU.

Comment

ok i have been playin around with comps and over clocking for some time now but still consider myself a newbie(look under the name it says so right there). What is the concensus on CPU shims. I was planning on getting one but what do they really do and what do they not do? I thought they added a larger contact patch with the HSF making it more efficent. Do they space the HSF to far away from the CPU? Are they another wasted dollar? What do they really do?:confused:

Comment

Well if you are afraid you will be crushing your processor then get a non-conductive shim...thats whata shimdoes it levels out your heatsink so you won't apply too much force on just one end and end up crushing your processor. After a while you will get the hang of it and shims won't be needed.

Shim don't add extra contact to your heatsink...that what you want to avoid. You want the heat to disapate from the center to the heat...the pcb doesn't produce the heat there fore no heatsink contact is needed on that area...just the core. That why you want to get a NON - conductive shim so it won't conduct heat and add even more heat around the core.
              - Damien

Comment

There are also a few different types as well that suit Thunderbirds, Palaminos and Thoroughbreds (the last maybe two types). If ya use the wrong type then ya could have big problems. ;)

Comment

Ok well I havent ever had any problems installing my HSF the goliath is actually easy to install. :hammer: so I think i will just pass on the shim...now if i could only get my new fans. Waiting around for packages before Xmas sucks!

Comment

Most core cracking has long since gone with today's heatsinks but in the early day's most designs were based on Socket7/370 units which made the shims very useful. ;)

Comment

Working...
                    X