Heatsink removal on TI4600?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatsink removal on TI4600?

I am going to unmount the sink & fan to replace it with a giant passive cooler by Zalman, or maybe the thermaltake copper solution. The Zalman heatpipe weigh around 400g and is huge.
    The noice from my Creative card is really extreme so i want to try something like this instead.

About the removal, is there any good tip how to get it loose, they aren't glued to the gpu are they? Does it mather if the card is hot or cold when i give it a try? :?:

And finally, do you think that theese two cooling soultions are about equal to eatchother or is one better than the other?

Zalman:

Thermaltake: http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/g4.htm

I like the solution on the Geforce FX :)

You can see the air intake on the right and the exhaust on the left

Comment

For some tips on heatsink removal if it has epoxy instead of thermal compound, see here:

and here:

I got lucky, one of my Ti4600's came right off by just taking out the 2 pins. I went with the Thermaltake G4 Copper heatsink. I haven't tested the Zalman.

Comment

Ok, thx for the info. :)

Comment

I now have the Zalman passive cooler installed on my Ti4600,
          (ZM80-HP) i have been running loops of benchmarks for some hours and the system has not shown any signs of instability or overheating.

The cooler is using a heatpipe that leads the heat over to the coolerplate mounted on the backside of the card, the both coolerplates holds about the same teperature whitch indicates just how effective a heatpipe can lead the heat. It weighs around 480-500g.

I can really recommend this soultion to anyone who wants a fanless and quiet yet satisfactoring cooler to their Gf4 Ti or Radeon 9700. They also have a little smaller model whitch could be used to the MX series etc. As long as the card has two mounting holes.
          :thumb:

Comment

Hey Tweaker, I'm glad you found a solution. I would like to see a pic of it on your card, if possible, because Zalman only shows it installed on an ATI card. The G4 is a much longer card. I'm curious to see how it looks. The only thing I don't like about the Zalman is that it doesn't rest on the RAM chips. They do tend to get very hot when I'm playing Counter Strike and other games. I have always gone with Thermaltake's products because they have never given me a problem although I am interested in some of Zalman's other new passive heatsinks.

Comment

Hey Tweaker, I'm glad you found a solution. I would like to see a pic of it on your card, if possible, because Zalman only shows it installed on an ATI card. The G4 is a much longer card. I'm curious to see how it looks. The only thing I don't like about the Zalman is that it doesn't rest on the RAM chips. They do tend to get very hot when I'm playing Counter Strike and other games. I have always gone with Thermaltake's products because they have never given me a problem although I am interested in some of Zalman's other new passive heatsinks. Do you have a heat sensor on your G4 GPU? If so, what temps does your card run at when idle and at full load? BTW, did you have any problems removing the stock heatsink? If so, please let me know how you removed it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X