Pentium 4 tempratures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium 4 tempratures

Can someone please tell me what would be exceptable temps running a pentium 4 - 2.4b ghz cpu ?
    I would like to know temps at the bottom and top of the scale, i.e - running no programs and running a heavy duty program such as a very graphic game.
    Cheers :cheers:

No better source than straight from the horse's mouth;

With Intel's clock-throttling you would have to work at it to damage a CPU by getting it too hot. Of course you do want to keep it below the temperature that would activate the throttling so that you are running at maximum processor output.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I had a look there mate but I cant seem to work it all out, I'am just looking for a straight temp's example of a pentium 4 - 2.4ghz cpu, they make it all seem so technical.
      cheers :cheers:

Comment

Throttling will start at around 75C. ;)

If ya keep it below 60C ya doin' fine. :)

Comment

so 60c for a pentium 4 - 2.4ghz is ok ?
          That's good, I was kinda worried as my temps were up in the 50s after running games etc, so thats ok then wiggo ?????

Comment

Yes ya doin' well. :thumb:

Comment

hi again wiggo mate,
              Sorry for keeping going on about the same subject,,,but,,,, Is what you have said "fact", I do trust your word but I was just wanting to double check as I'am a wee bit worried about these temp's.
              Please look again at the messages above and verify for me that you are definetly correct.
              Thanks pal and I apoligise again for being paraniod.
              :cheers:

Comment

The figures are ok. When the P4 first came out a lot of ppl were havin' fits over the temps they were gettin' (temps will vary from motherboard to motherboard a few degrees like any other of cause) but generally throttling (which is built into the CPU and not the chipset) starts around 75C though this can vary +/-5C and if that doesn't help then the CPU will shut itself down (the temp here I don't know but I'm sure that someone here does). Intel has done very well to insure that the CPU will not fry unlike AMD which is still trying to perfect theirs. If lower temps are what ya lookin' for then swap ya current HSF out and fit a Volcano 7+ instead (yes I know I'm a 7+ pimp but with good reason). : peace2:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

what iam looking for is a good approx guide at low end and top end use (temp's), just approx readings ????

Comment

I can appreciate your concern, it's all for the best.
                    As Wiggo stated, the throttling is built in.
                    Intel has put a lot of research into the details so that you can relax a bit.

When throttling kicks in, the P4 will crank itself back to a slower speed automatically in an effort to cool itself. If the effort should fail and temperatures continue to increase, the CPU will shut itself down.

As long as you maintain an operating temperature of even 1 degree less than the throttling point, your CPU will function at 100% of its capacity.

Your readings of 50 degrees is, rest assured, well within the comfort zone of the processor. If however, you yourself are not comfortable with that then you should invest in a HSF that provides you with an operating temperature that you feel is adequate.

Personally, I would not think there is any need for alarm or cooling apparatus other than that provided by Intel unless you find yourself climbing into the range of the upper 60's.

Relax a bit dude, your PC is working fine -- enjoy it!

In the Intel side of things, you are doing just dandy. On the other hand, if you were using an AMD processor you would be justified to have concerns. As I stated before, Intel went to a lot of concern so that you would not have to.

Offhand I'd say a minimum operating temperature might be somewhere around -20 degrees fahrenheit. (chemical cooling would be necessary to get anywhere near that point)

Maximum temperature would be the point where the CPU starts to address the heat issue on its own -- for academics sake let's say in the neighborhood of 68 - 72 degree range.

If you experience a marked slowdown in your CPU function, then you have reached the throttling point. The temperatures you related are not in the zone to initiate the built in safety mechanism of the built in thermal management of the chip by a good margin.

I can appreciate your concern for the health and welfare of your computer.
                    It sounds to me like it is definitely alive and kicking, all well within specs for sure:thumb:
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

ok, thanks guys.
                      :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                      X