system cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system cooling

right i have an XP 2000 chip with artic silver 3 on it... the chip runs at 43 deegrees idle. I recently just installed an 80mm fan below the PSU blowing air in... i'm sure it should be taking the air out is this right?

Also i have an exchaust fan running from the PSU under the gf4 to extract the heat.

What other methods should i try to keep the system cool should i reverse that fan under the PSU to pump out the air?

Thanks

It looks as though you are discovering that all cases are not created equally. Airflow will be different in practically every case model out there, but there are a few basic rules to follow for the best overall results.
    • Main intake fan(s) should be placed low in the front of the enclosure. This allows for a ready supply of fresh, cool air for the system to work with.
    • Primary exhaust fans should be placed high in the rear portion of the case. Since heat rises naturally, this lets the heated air be vented out of the case to make room for the continuous flow of fresh air.
    • Your intake should be nearly equal to the exhaust. If you have too much exhaust, then your HSF will be working with hot air since there is no fresh supply. If too much intake, then the airflow will not move in a natural rising pattern as the surplas of air coming in is looking for an escape route.
    • Side fans generally produce better results if they are used as intake. As a rule, these fans are generally placed to blow either onto the graphics card, the processor or the lower PCI slots (thus removing a common stagnant air pocket).
    • PSU fans are not really designed to be used as the enclosure's main source of exhaust. Their main goal is to rtemove the heat created from the PSU itself. Even the dual fan models will do little to help in the airflow of an enclosure.

While these are just general guidelines, they can be used to make sure that the setup you have has at least a reasonable chance at success. Hopefully this will help you in your goals of creating a lower temperature for your system. And if all is set up optimally, then remember that the higher the ambient temperature in the room, the higher your resulting case and processor temperatures will be.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

excellent - thanks very much.

I will give this a try out. so far i have reversed the fan under my PSU to pushing more air out. The system temp is now at 34 degrees C.

The CPU is sitting at 41 which is idling... Think i need a fan at the bottom to blast through the fresh supply.

Thanks once again d00d :D
      :cheers:

Comment

SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Working...
        X