[noob] do i need this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [noob] do i need this?

i'm a noob so don't get mad if this is a n00bie question but, so for about three months now every other time i start my computer it sounds horrible and makes this loud whinning sound and sounds like crap, so i have to restart and restart till it quits this cause i had no idea what it was. Well today it finaly got to me so i took the case off, looked in my computer and found out it was the sleeve bearing on my computer, it's like a little fan and it's cooling something, but it's whining and sounds like it's gonna freaking explode or something so i unpluged it and took it out, my computer sounds fine now but i'm worried if that part of my computer will melt or overheat. i have two other large fans on my computer, one inside and one blowing the air outside from inside. i felt of that little part the fan was covering and it seems to be fine; the little fan says sleeve bearing on it also and it's about a 1.5 x 1.5 inch. i figured this would be the place to ask so thanks for any help :);)

here are my specs btw:

athlon xp2000
    60 gig hd
    512 mb ddr ram
    radeon 7000 64mb
    win xp

You didn't say which motherboard ya have but that would have the be the northbridge fan. Those fans can usually be picked at any electronics or PC store (usually a standard 40mm x 10mm fan) and it's because of their size mainly that they tend not to last a long time. Now if where you are ya comin' into winter then replacing the fan now is not urgent but if ya comin' into the warm part of the year then replace it soon as the northbridge may need the extra cooling then. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

No question is stupid if you dont know the answer ;)

Yes, it must be the northbridge fans is its the only one that would/should be there. And as wiggo said you can find them in most computer places. But the heat isnt an issue atm if your computer didnt sizzle by now (No offense ;)).

Comment

haha, ok thanks guys and the fan was working though, it just sounding like crap and makeing these winning noises, but no fan shouldn't make it frie right?

Comment

No they shouldn't make that noise but because of the small size of the sleeves in these fans they don't last long. If you can find someone who supplies ball bearing ones then pay the bit extra for them as they'll last at least twice as long (maybe 3 times). ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

allright, thanks for the help man :cheers:

Comment

Working...
            X