quiet + cool cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quiet + cool cooler

Im just about to buy a new pc with a AMD XP 1800+.
    As my computer is close to where i sleep, I need a fan that will be quite, however, it will also need to keep my cpu cool while playing Unreal Tour. 2003 and Battlefield 1942.
    So far I have seen good reviews for the Volcano 7+ and the Zalman CNPS6000-Cu. any suggestions or feedback from these two?

:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce:

thanks
    :wave:

Yeah go with the Volcano 7+ and its a lot cheaper than the Zalmans too. It may be a bit louder but you can just turn down the fan speed when you sleep and turn it up to medium or full when you are playing games :thumb:

Also have a look at the Volcano 9.....it may not be as good as the 7+ but it has thermal probes which you can configure so that the fan speed automatically decreases when temperatures are low.

Comment

Ive been told that the volcano 9 has some serious noise problems... As does the 7+, is this true?

Comment

Yes the 7+ does too and is quieter on full speed than the 9 as well. I've found that only extreme heat here gets me to use high speed here (switches handly located) and medium all other times except for nite when they're switched to low. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Any comments on the Zalman CNPS6000-Cu, or is it not worth the extra $20???

thanks

Comment

The Zalman I wouldn't touch sorry as it's not up to my cooling standards. : peace2:

Comment

I just responded to a very similar post, so I'll copy/paste my response from there. Sorry for the lack of additional individuality:

Through the course of my testing of heatsinks, I have found that as a general rule, the Zalman coolers do not perform as well as most others on the market. I have seen other sites that tout the greatness of these coolers, but in my test system (which always consists of a full tower case and ample airflow), the Zalman units don't do well.

Just my two cents worth. :)
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

I found that my 7+ screems like a banshe, but thats no different to the rest of my system :p
                But it its a rather high pitch screem.

Comment

Well I'd tell ya about the noise of mine but I can't here them over the noise of 1 SMART FAN II on full speed atm (I shouldn't have wired the speed controller into the case 1st). :devil win

Comment

would it be louder than my 120mm???
                    it's only about 50cfm though and it's a deep noise instead of a whine

Comment

Ya 120mm would probably be the same as the HS 92mm fan in my server's PSU which usually drowns all the other fans but this SMART FAN II here is absolutely drownin' out everything (I think that I'd better turn the radio up a bit more) but the volume of air bein' moved is unbelievable and it's coolin' the HDD (as it's the fan in the 3.5" drive bay) plus moving the air around on the shelf that the system is on atm. I'm not so should I want to hear the noise of all 3 SMART FAN II's in the case runnin' at full speed though. :devil:

Comment

I got to get me some of them :p
                        pccasegear has them with the "cool mod" i might get one of those for my mid front, i'v got a new 92 aswell only 50-60cfm(or something like that) better than my old one though.

Comment

Working...
                        X