Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy/accurate way to read vid card temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy/accurate way to read vid card temp?

OK so I overclocked my xstasy ti4200 a bit and played ut2k3 and it ran fine. Out of curiousity (stupidity?) I felt the back of the card to see if it was hot. It wasn't hot except under the core, it was very hot to the touch. Obviously this is not an accurate/smart way to tell the temp, is there a good way to tell how hot my gpu is running?? How necessary are heatsinks for the ddr on the card? If I want to overclock it to the max, should i get the thermaltake geforce4 cooler or does it depend on my case temp??

Please help, I am lost.

Alot of things to depend on case temp cuase the lower the case temp the lower the components inside the case are. You see it works hand in hand. The heatsink on the memory is very necessary if you wanna overclock that. The memory gets hot too! Also usually aftermarket cooling solutions for video cards are much better then the stock ones. Unless of course you have a company such as leadtek who areleady has massive heatsinks but still. I once upon a time touched the back of the GPU after 3 hours of quake 3 and ya it does get pretty hot. All though not as hot as the heatsink on a voodoo 3. Those things get so hot you can actually burn yourself. Now THOSE require fans! Anyway I saw a mod once upon a time (I think it was tweaktown) where they took a geforce 3 and modded it so that it had a heatsink on the front and back.........on the geforce 4 ti4600's by leadtek there is a heatsink on the back to handle that issue.

Does Visiontek come with utilities to check temps? I know leadtek does. But I'm not sure if they will work together.

Comment

One of the is good for checking temps and inexpensive too.

<center>
      <small>the pic is also a hyperlink</small>
      :cheers:</center>

Comment

I have a movable probe with my MoBo, i sit it on the back of my video card and it normally hits higher temps than my cpu

Comment

wow for 10 bucks I might decide to get one myself! But where would it go. ANother hole required eh? oh well its all worth it with case modding madness.

Comment

I'm sure that ya have a 5.25" face plate that ya can use plus 2 of them will fit in one. ;)
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

ya too bad my 5 1/4 face plates aren't flat like most cases. THe entire front part of my case is rounded so I can't drill through it at all. Which is why the switch for my ccfl is just dangling in mid air inside my case. No part to bring it through. :(

Comment

Well that's where the word "Mod" really comes into play. ;)

Got a pic of ya case there? :?:

Comment

yes I do.......

Comment

Yes I see ya current prob but have ya looked at a few other face plates to see if ya could fit them in instead? :?:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

No I haven't but I think I have some spare ones laying around my house somewhere. :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll check tomorrow I gotta get some sleep gotta wake up in like 6 hours for school tomorrow :thumbs do

Comment

lol, sleep? What's sleep? Anyway that could be a bit of a problem. maybe re-cess them?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a thermaltake geforce4 cooler and some arctic silver. I think I will also upgrade front case fan to 120 mm from 80. Might get a sensor, but I'll monitor case temps in the meantime.

Comment

there is a dual one too thats only a cpl of bucks more:snip:

Comment

Working...
                            X