Watercooling for dummies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling for dummies?

Im a hardcore wannabe. I got the latest hardware, configured in a way that would brainmelt any newbie, im using silver compound, extra fans inside the tower, replaced the motherboard fan with a crystal orb, opened up the PSU to replace the fan, overclocked the graphiccscard (but not the cpu), always grab the best motherboard I can get etc.

But there is one thing that is missing in my life.
    I have often dreamt about cooling my computers with water rather than the *very noisy* Swiftech cooler. Unfortunate, it is difficult to even buy the components if you dont know what you should get.

What I know is that I need a refrigerator, a pump, two cooling blocks (CPU/GPU), but I have no idea of what hoses I need, and what labels I should look for.

Is there anyone that a) can give me a "dummies" list of:
    1. Required components,
    2. Their real names (I dont think I should search for "Refrigerator" in a net-store product list)
    3. Their physical location inside the tower

or b) point me to a website that goes through this in a "for absolute beginners" manner?

Best Regards
    JemyM

Well you can find a whole bunch of articles about water cooling and parts here: http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index31.asp#WATER COOLING not really setup for complete beginners but there are some good articles there.

Comment

Here's another to check out, http://www.procooling.com/ ;)

Comment

Ok I went to www.xoxide.com to look for some good water cooling. If you have an AMD go here: http://www.xoxide.com/inwatcoolkit1.html . If you have a P4 go here: http://www.xoxide.com/inwatcoolkit2.html . Now I am sure these are not the best prices around but water cooling is pretty expensive anyway. Now if you want to have water cooling for your HDD and/or Graphics card go to the bottom of that page and you can add it (around $50 per add on). There are specially designed cases for water cooling that are pretty expensive but make it easier to setup. Now what are your system specs?

Comment

Aaah ok here we go. http://www.xoxide.com/watcoolcas.html are some cases built for water cooling. You can add all of your options and get pretty much everything on one page. Most if not all is pretty good quality water cooling. Remember when you setup your water cooling system let it run a couple days BEFORE attatching the cooling parts to your hard ware. Wouldnt want it to leak all over your beautiful stuff now would we?

Comment

I gess I was a bit quick to list my specs... Anyway, they are in the end of this message.

I remember http://www.overclockers.com, I think I have been there before about a year ago. It was that site that got me to add an extra bunch of fans to my old machine (The motherboard/Tower+CPU are now in my GF's machine).

Specs:
            Windows XP
            Chieftec Dragon Tower (midi)
            Epox 8k5a2+
            Athlon 2100+
            GeForce 3 Ti500
            512mb pc2700
            Soundblaster Audigy Platinum XP
            Nokia 446x Pro 19"
            Western Digital 7200rpm 120gb ATA100
            Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb ATA100 (SE)
            Maxtor 5400rpm 30gb ATA66
            IBM 5400rpm 10gb ATA33
            Plextor x24 Burner
            Pioneer DVD Reader x40 (Never used DVD capatibilities)

The real bottleneck is the graphiccard at the moment. Wont replace it until NV30 is out thou.

Also planned to cool my gf's set:
            Windows XP
            CanNotRememberName Miditower
            Asus KT133A
            Athlon 1200Mhz
            GeForce 2 MX400
            512mb pc133
            Soundblaster PCI 128
            Hyundai ImageQuest Q910
            Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb ATA100 (SE)
            NoName CD Reader x52

Best Regards
            JemyM

Comment

I wouldnt say "...I got the latest hardware..." but the links I provided should give you an idea of what you need to look for. If you don't buy there complete kit you can find each part in it and buy them seperately from other sites. Save yourself money but will be more of a hassle...

Comment

pga1234
                -----------
                A month old then. :)

Remember that most Athlon's over 2200+ was released during the latest month. So was 400Mhz DDR and KT400.

A month ago, when I bought the motherboard/cpu, Epox 8k5a2+ with 333Mhz ruled. 2200+ was just released in sweden and costed +33% compared with 2100+. A bit to much to pay for just 80Mhz...

Part from that, as I said, its the gfx board that bothers me. :)

Best Regards
                JemyM

Comment

Aaah ok makes more sense now. The problem is that you will have to upgrade at least every 3 months to keep up to date...

Comment

My latest three CPU upgrades have been 2 years between. But they have always been an dissapointment. It seems like CPU speed doesnt matter for games anymore, and what counts is simply the speed of the graphiccard.

Using p2 350Mhz I could squeeze about 30fps (q3) in 1600x1200 using a GF256DDR. Upgrading my CPU to 1000Mhz gave me a rise to 40fps, a 25% increase for 650 extra mhz.

Then, when I upgraded to GF3Ti500 I reached over 90fps, wich is an increase of over 100%.

Ofcourse, windows is much smoother at 1000Mhz than 350Mhz, but I cant feel much difference between my (2100+) and my gf's (1200Mhz) computer when using windows.

The only reason for me to go for faster CPU's today is for video compression, and that something I do pretty often. Next up for me is a new gfx card. And watercooling, but thats just for fun.

Best Regards
                    JemyM

Comment

here is a link to the review of different water blocks.

good luck.

Comment

kane2g: Great link! Thanks. Its answered lots of questions.

Im the type of guy that hate myself when I have to bother someone with questions. I always try to read myself to answers before asking.

So in this case, I just write down what I learned, and ask if everything sounds alright.

To cool my set with water cooling, I need the following:

External box
                        This seems to be the most handy way of setting up the "core" of the system (pump+radiator), simply a "box" in any material that I can put near the tower, or "hide" on the floor. I have lots of space left in my Dragon Tower thou.

Radiator
                        This is the most foggy bit at the moment. Most reviews I read have been about home-made constructions, using a radiator from old fridgerators, cars, even aircondition sets. I dont know if I can buy a computer-prepared radiator.
                        Reccomended: Black Ice Xtreme LE Chrome

Pump
                        The pump needs to be strong so it can pump the liquid around the hoses, specially if the "box" is placed on the floor. Pumps can easily be bought where they sell aquariums.

2xCooling blocks
                        One for the GPU, one for the CPU, preferably copper if you cant afford silver or gets your hand of a nicely crafted plastic one.
                        The FSB might be cooled, but it is not really worth the effort.
                        Im a bit worried about the GFX board's DDR memory thou. Might need something extra there.

Hoses
                        A long hose, preferably transparent will be cut up in pieces and attached to pump the water in this order:
                        Pump -> Radiator -> GPU -> Pump
                        Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> Pump

Destilled Water
                        Destilled becouse non-destilled water is more likely to cause damage to the computer if there is a leaking accident.

Anti-Bacterial / Anti-Freeze spice
                        The destilled water should be spiced with an anti-bacterial mixture to keep the water clean and optimal.
                        There should also be some anti-freeze liquid in the water to keep the water from getting to hot. Not to much thou. (Maximum 5%).

Arctic Silver Compound 3
                        From what I know, the best compound on the market.

I also need to find a way to get the cooler to start/stop when the computer is turned on/off. To run the computer with the system turned off is NOT a good idea.

Best Regards
                        JemyM

Comment

The Black Ice Xtreme is and excellent radiator and an Eheim 1048 pump is well suited for it and two waterblocks. :thumb:
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

That is noted. I found reccomendations of Black Ice Xtreme and Eheim 1250 on the page kane2g posted. Great to have that info backed up by someone else. That means that I have two of my components chosen. :D
                            Also trying to find out what kind of dB can be expected from Black Ice Xtreme, since the main purpose for watercooling is to reduce the noise coming from my Swiftech =o)

Trying to learn more about Lexan Hold Down Plates & Peltiers at the moment. Also trying to find out more about "Thermo-Electric Cooler".

Best Regards
                            JemyM

Comment

Normally a 120mm fan is used along the specs of the two fans in the red rectangle. ;)

Note that a 60mm Black Delta fan produces 42db @ 38cfm

Comment

Working...
                              X