Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIO WC solutions

Hi everyone

As some of you know, I'm in the progress of upgrading my HTNAS with a custom case. Since airflow and heat-stockage will be a problem in the new case without proper adjustments, I've decided to opt for a AIO water cooling solution for the CPU.

The main reason for this is that i can set it to push the "cooled air" directly out of the case instead of just away from the CPU.

Short system spec:
    - 550W PSU that will be mounted with both exhaust areas outside of the case (back & bottom, will face back and side).
    - 2x IcyDock MB974SP-B (will be mounted with a pipe on the fans that leads the exhaust out of the case)
    - 7" touchscreen that does produce a bit of heat, but not much.
    - Asus F1A75-I deluxe mainboard with A6-3500 APU and 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333 ram.
    - SATA/SAS controller

The cpu doesn't generate much heat and does work fine with the stock fan now (PIB), but it is a bit loud. Anything else in the case that generates heat is being directly exausted and only thing left is the heat from the mainboard itself.

So my plan was, get a AIO WC unit, replace the fan with a better, slower and more silent one and add one or two more fans to the case all spinning at around 600rpm and I should be good.

But what AIO to pick? all tests of them are on highend systems mostly overclocked and not a little tripplecore APU on FM1 socket running at 2.1ghz, so the noise and cooling options i can read from them doesn't help me much in this particular area.
    My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
    Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Re: AIO WC solutions

If you plan to remove the fans the choices are simpler. If you can fit a thick rad, go that route, if you are stuck to a thin rad go that route. Here is where I will make it simple. Get a unit with a square head on it. These are CoolIt built, and mount much better than the Asetek built models. As far as either a thick or thin radiator, just go with whatever is cheaper since they are all basically the same unit under different logos.

Comment

Since I didn't get any feedback prior I went with the recommendations from the manufacturers. I ended up with a Corsair H60 and a Enermax TB Silent fan for it (1more for the case and 2x 80mm replacement for the backplanes). Still building the case for for the entire machine, so not got to test it yet.

Still appreciate your feedback chad.

The PSU got into a FSPgroup Aurum 500W gold certified, SAS controller became a lsi 9220-i8 (ibm branded)
      My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
      Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
      Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

i say try the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer or Pro. they seem to work good and not too noisey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a_thermaltake_clw216_water_20_pro_lcs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	752211
        Last edited by TeeBlack; 08-05-2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X