Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to troubleshoot: heating or power problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to troubleshoot: heating or power problems?

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out why my desktop shuts off (black screen, power off) everytime I play any games that are very graphically demanding for roughly half hour or so.

I am guessing that the gtx 295 is either producing too much heat and overheating itself and other components, or my 600watt psu doesn't have enough juice when the gpu goes into high gear.

I have 2 antec 120mm fans blowing air thru the front and out the back of the case to cool the hard drive bay and area below the graphic card, 2 90mm case fans sucking air out of the top of the case near the cpu, an arctic 7 cpu cooler, and a 90mm case fan blowing air over the power supply (at the bottom of the case, since it is an antec P180 ATX case). The graphics card area feel warm but the power supply seems especially hot to the touch.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Re: How to troubleshoot: heating or power problems?

this seems kinda heavyhanded, but try removing the m/board with everything from the case and the power supply, then just run from the top of a wooden table.. or something non-conductive and static free..

as long as you're not living in a 4x4x4 box, this should provide enough ventilation... else... there are a number of tools available that can provide detailed information regarding running temp on RAM, CPU, MB, NB, GPU... for example EVEREST from Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management or CoreTemp or RealTemp for example..
    GA-X58A-UD7 rev1.0 - F9d // Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz - //vcore:Normal(1.2430v)+DVID+0.07500v//qpi_vtt:1.380v//bclk:200*21(turbo)
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1866 @ 1600 ([email protected])

CPU-Z Results: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2212669

Comment

Have you watched your temps during this happening? If not I would advise you do so, then you could see if your card is overheating and causing this.

You could also do the same much quicker with Furmark burn test benchmark, let me know if you want a link to that.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys! Will try everest and furmark (for a second I thought that was a typo and you meant futuremark!)

Tho i bumped down my graphics settings and left the side lid off and it hasn't happened again yet!
        Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
        Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
        CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
        CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
        GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Comment

HAHA, na I meant furmark. Here is a link just in case
          FurMark: Graphics Card Stability and Stress Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Be careful with that, it will make things VERY Hot! Especially if you use full screen or larger resolutions

Comment

awesome!!
            GA-X58A-UD7 rev1.0 - F9d // Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz - //vcore:Normal(1.2430v)+DVID+0.07500v//qpi_vtt:1.380v//bclk:200*21(turbo)
            6GB Corsair Dominator 1866 @ 1600 ([email protected])

CPU-Z Results: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2212669

Comment

It'll get HOT, watch your temps, especially if you go full screen/high res. with it

Comment

Working...
              X