High temps with no oc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High temps with no oc

I was wondering if a cpu temp of 51c is high on a i7 940 chip and a coolmaster v8 cooler, no oc at this time. I want to oc but not likeing the temp now. Also running a asus p6t board in a ABS 695 canyon tower, 6gigs of ddr3 1600mhs ram and a asus 295 vid card. thanks

Re: High temps with no oc

I think it is normal, I have seen a few posts recently with this cooler and stock temps seemed warm to me. So one, of course i7 is warm, and two this cooler is not the greatest for i7 I think.

Is that 51c idle or load at stock, if idle that is a bit warmer than I usually see (41-48) so you may need less paste or a tighter/better mount

Comment

Hey thanks for the response. My temps are just on slight load eg. web surfing etc. I thought that the cooler is the prob, I also herd that it runs a little hot. My MB temps are around 35-40 most of the time. I want to OC, what kind of temps can I get away with with the i7. Thanks again...

Comment

Seeing anything over 75 makes folks nervous, especially for daily use. I would definitely remove, re-paste, re-seat before doing anything just to be sure.
        Last edited by ppuff; 03-22-2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I agree, I'd try a re-seating of the CPU to see if things improve. If they do not you will just have to slowly overclock and see how high your load temps rise, then decide if your overclock desires require you to buy a new cooler or not.

Comment

You said that you have tried to over clock?

When a cpu is on its way out, the cpu % usage will be close to or always 100% try checking it in the task manager.

If the heat sink is not connected properly you can also get high temps for obvious reasons.

my 920 was running at 60, then I got water cooling that brought it down to 25.

Comment

Another factor also is the ambient temp, My i7 930 idles at 45-50 @4ghz with ambient temps of 35-40 that's in deg C and I'm already using H50 with it. Most of my friends advised me to go custom water cooling, I'd do it if money wasn't an issue. LoL

Comment

Working...
              X