No announcement yet.

Cpu Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 bucks says that the Volcano 9+ Will be a Volcano 7+ Heatsink, with a Volcano 9 FAN.... :D :D :D :D

(did I mention you can buy the Volcano 9 fan by itself? and then put it on your Volcano 7+, and Voila, you'll have a Volcano 9+)

You'd think being in the heatsink business and all, that ThermalTake would be a little more creative. Honestly why do they keep going back to aluminum, the heatsink material of the slot PII's. :no:

Comment

Originally posted by grypht

Now I am tired of the sound it makes
      if noise really is a concern - you may want to look at the coolers that use 80mm fans - Thermalright AX7 or SLK800, Swiftech MCX462, Alpha8045etc...all have very respectable performance & typically you get a better performance to noise ratio than you do with smaller fans.

I've got an Alpha 8045 on my Athlon , & I just picked up a 8942 for my S478 Celeron - I've used everything from a 80+cfm Delta fan to a 30cfm Sunon - they're not the absolute best, but they are very good & bare heat sinks are down around the $30US range.

Comment

I was thinking the same Zera. When i read the Volcano 9's Article by Darth...i was thinking what if...It had a solid copper HS with that massive 80mm fan.
        - Damien

Comment

I had thought about that too, but weight would become an issue I think. It might become necessary to start using a 4-hole mounting technique because of the massive weight involved.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

yep...looks liek the way to go now for the best performance/noise ratio is an SLK800 with pretty much any fan;)

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the help.

I looked on dansdata webpage about the slk800 and he said that he used his own fan, so the one comming with the slk800 is loud or not... hard to say.

I was tempted by the volcano 7+, but in this review it says it's a 70mm fan? http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=188

The price is not really an issue, but I wouldn't go with watercooling just yet, since i move my computer around a lot.

If I'd choose the slk800 would you advise a particular fan? Keeping noise tolerable without loosing too much of the cooling aspect?

Thanks,
              Grypht

Comment

as far as 80mm fans go - I've got both the 68cfm & 80cfm Delta's - I consider both of them too loud, I haven't tried the 84cfm Vantec but I can't imagine it would be any different. they're not as annoying as the 60mm HO fans - they don't have the same high pitched whine - but they are LOUD. I tend to use them only when I'm trying to max out my system for benchmarks & I usually end up switching back to something a little more tolerable for long term use.

I've got a couple of 80x25mm ADDA fans that put out 50cfm - I don't find them annoying at all, I've tried one on my Alpha8045 & the performance loss isn't too substantial. I don't have the actual Db rating - but I don't find them any worse than the 42cfm Sunons. I got them from AMK Services in B.C.

Comment

Compare the noise of a similar size and RPM of a fan you own, and then compare them with potential fans you might buy.

Again, every fan isn't on there, so just compare RPM and Size, and it will be very close to the same amount of noise.

Comment

Hey guys have any of you used or seen the Y S Tech TMD Magnetic Drive Fan. Looks like this:

I think its looks cool...its 18 USD and is comes w/an aluminum and copper base heatsink.
                    - Damien

Comment

I have yet to find a slim-line fan that cools very well. Maybe this one is different, but I don't hold my breath.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Roger That!
                        - Damien

Comment

Here's a detailed review of that fan, http://www.dansdata.com/tmdfan.htm ;)
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Whats the big deal on having a 70mm fan...doesn't the 7+ have a 70mm fan..so whats the biggy that he meantions if you are nutz you will buy this 70mm if not wait for the 80 etc..is becuase not too many hs are 70mm?
                            - Damien

Comment

Yep that right. ;)

Comment

I see thanks again WiG!: peace2:
                                - Damien

Comment

Working...
                                X