No announcement yet.

Intake/Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a good article, but the last time I tried reading it I almost fell asleep :laugh:

Comment

i have questions about case fans... am i supposed to have a fan that blows in and another that blows out?
      if so... how am i supposed to set it up?
      another thing... are fans better w/ higher RPM or waht is the ideal RPM (after considering that overclockin will be done and noise lvl)...?
      note i can ignore noise lvl if it is needed for overclocking =P

heh... i'm a newbie that wants to overclock my vidcard gf4 ti4200 and my athlon xp 1700... any tips would be much appreciated

Comment

It's a good idea to have a fan in the lower front pulling the air in and then another fan in the back, higher up, exhausting air out. If you have to, carefully cut holes where you want the fans, first measuring exactly where you want the fans to be. I know there are some pages that describe the process, but don't have the links.
        Anyone know the pages these are at?

Then you can power the fans either off the motherboard power headers if the fans don't require much power. But since you are looking for good cooling, you'll want to use fans with a decent RPM (80MM somewhere around 3000 RPM at least, probably more) and that will mean they would probably be better being powered directly from the power supply - 4pin connectors.
        Take a look at the Vantec Tornado fans. They move an incredible amount of air, but are among the loudest fans. If you don't mind the extreme noise these will do very well. http://www.1coolpc.com/tornado.htm

Also you could go to www.thecardcooler.com and look at the card cooler section. May be a good idea to try one of these if you will be o/c'ing your video card.

Hope this helps ya :cheers:

Comment

Another good fan to look at is the ADDA 80mm hi-speed fan, they dont make a lot of noise but move quite a lot of air, 50CFM.

Comment

yea...although for 80mm fans i'd put 40cfm as the comfortable limit...any more and they start to make whiny noises

Comment

chisholm That whine is useful to scare off small animals.

Comment

Originally posted by smokie
                Another good fan to look at is the ADDA 80mm hi-speed fan, they dont make a lot of noise but move quite a lot of air, 50CFM.

http://phamcomputer.safeshopper.com/18/cat18.htm?480
                I've got a couple of these on my Alpha8045 & 8942's - I don't find them bad at all - of course I'm comparing them to the Delta 80cfm's I took off - the temps are only slightly higher under extended periods of load & OC-ability has not been affected at all

Comment

RDR Do you know what the difference is in the power draw between the 50 cfm and 80 cfm?

Comment

would anyone like to share their case fan setups ?
                    how many ?
                    what size ?
                    where ?
                    direction ?
                    SPAM Special Ops

Comment

In my Lian Li case I have six 80mm 50CFM fans in my case..

2 80mm intakes in the front .. 2 80mm intakes on the side over the CPU fan and the video cards .. 1 80mm exhaust fan in the rear and 1 80mm exhaust fan on the top of the case plus the 2 80mm exhaust fans in the p/s

I also have a 90mm 60CFM fan on the heatsink.

Comment

Originally posted by smokie
                        I also have a 90mm 60CFM fan on the heatsink.
                        do you mean a 80mm or a 92mm ?
                        are there any 90mm fans on the market ?
                        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Some Yanks and Poms call the 92mm fan a 90mm one.

Comment

gotcha..
                            SPAM Special Ops

Comment

1 80x80 80+ cfm

1 80x80 40+ cfm

1 60x60 22+ cfm

1 bay fan 42+ cfm

1 card fan 42+ cfm

Comment

I've never heard anyone call a 92mm fan a 90mm, for what its worth.

Comment

Working...
                                X