need longer temp probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need longer temp probes

finishing up an external rad/res/pump box and ran on something I've never thought of before. temp probe cables are too short, and also want to put in disconnect terminals. The box is designed to be entirely modular, so that it was be disconnedted for maintenance, moddings, testing, moving to another pc. everything else solved beautifully- except temp probe cables!

As I understand, t probes rely on resistance- so splicing a length of 22 gauge might affect temp readings, as might putting in-line connectors.

Ideas anyone?

Re: need longer temp probes

Adding a connector to the cable will affect the resistance, but only very slightly. You need to know how sensitive the temp probe is. What you will need to do is measure the resistance of the probe at different temps. For example, measure the resistance at 20 degrees, then at 25 degrees and see how much variance there is. If the difference is only a few ohms (or even less) then splicing the cable will probably affect your temp readings, but if the difference is quite large then you should have no problems.
    Rackmounted Liquid Rocks!!!
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.41GHz w/
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Gigabyte X58A-UD7
    6Gb G.Skill Trident 3 x 2Gb DDR3-2000 9-9-9-24
    2x HD5850 - 1000MHz core, 1250MHz RAM
    w/ EK full cover waterblocks
    Laing D5 vario / EK X-TOP rev. 2
    2x XSPC RX360 rad w/ 6 x Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
    3 x Seagate 7200.11 160Gb in RAID-0
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb
    Corsair HX-850 Modular PSU