No announcement yet.

Heatsink the wont break off my socket 370

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok this scares me..........cause when I upgrade my CPU I may want to get a Volcano 7 (not 7+) currently I have the WBK38......but if I were to go alpha or swiftech and use the holes which I like that idea.......isn't that easy to break the core? Or is it mandatory to buy a shim for that.......give me details how many turns does it take to install it correctly?

Comment

I havn't used either personally (seen them up close and asked the questions) though just turn each screw a turn at a time in a diagonal pattern (like 4 stud car wheels) till screwed down. The screws don't actually do the locking down though and can't be over tightened as springs under the screwheads supply the pressure to hold the HSF down on the core. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Here is the link of the review I did on the Alpha unit:

Here's a quick copy/paste from page three that refers to the installation of the sink:

Hopefully this answers your concern about the installation. I can't speak for the Swiftech cooler as I haven't tested one of them out myself, but I would be surprised if it were any different than this one.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

I have an Alpha8045 - & although you do have to remove your motherboard for the initial installation - it is by far the easiest HSF installation I've ever done - no leaning on a spring clip with screw driver where one slip means kiss your motherboard good bye.
          - and Darth is right - if you install it correctly - it's impossible to overtighten it or not have it flush with the the CPU lug - I wouldn't even bother with a shim.

Once the HS is installed you can swtch the fans from the top with out removing it - if you want.

By the way in my other system - one tab is broken off the side of the ziff socket - thanks to a Global Win single tab clip design and 450g+ copper cooler

right now I have the stock Intel aluminum cooler attached with Arctic Silver Epoxy - I'm just waiting for it to fall off on day :scream:

Comment

Working...
          X