Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermalright Ultra120 extreme N/S or E/W does it matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermalright Ultra120 extreme N/S or E/W does it matter?

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with mounting a Thermalright Ultra120 extreme East/West instead of North/South in a tower case.
    Was the performance equal or worse?

Shouldn't really matter, should it?

Btw - there won't be a heat buildup issue; 120mm fan on heatsink, x2 120mm fans at top of case and x1 120mm at the back.

Thanks for any help.
    Intel i7 2600k | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 (U1g) | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 (CL8) | Galaxy GTX275 1GB
    OS Drive - OCZ Vertex3 SATA 6Gbps 120GB (2.22) | Storage Drives - 2xSeagate ST31000524AS 6Gbps 1TB (RAID 0)
    Other Storage Drive - 1xSeagate ST31000333AS SATA 3Gbps 1TB | LiteON SATA iHAS324 (BL1P)
    Corsair CMPSU-750HX | Coolermaster HAF912 Advanced |
    Coolmaster V8 Aircooler
    ZBoard | Logitech G9x | Panasonic 37" 1080p LCD | Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Re: Thermalright Ultra120 extreme N/S or E/W does it matter?

Assuming N/S is front to back, I went E/W because I didn't want my fans nose to nose.
    IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/Herk56/New%20Computer/P1000904.jpg[/IMG]
    I wanted to make sure I had good circulation of air within the case. The way I have it set up blows air across the NB and on the video card as well. The case has a 120mm for intake and another for exhaust, coupled with the 120mm cpu fan, the case and contents should stay cool.

Comment

Originally posted by herk56 View Post
      Assuming N/S is front to back, I went E/W because I didn't want my fans nose to nose.

I wanted to make sure I had good circulation of air within the case. The way I have it set up blows air across the NB and on the video card as well. The case has a 120mm for intake and another for exhaust, coupled with the 120mm cpu fan, the case and contents should stay cool.
      Interesting that you've set it up that way, personally I have mine direct the airflow to a case exhaust fan for removal. Also interesting you have your fan sucking instead of blowing.

I see two sets of wires from the m/board header, are you using a two fan push - pull setup?

Originally posted by brutisb View Post
      Shouldn't really matter, should it?

x2 120mm fans at top of case.
      That would be the deciding factor for me, I'd have the cooler in the same orientation as above but with the fan blowing the opposite way so the air is exhausted via the two 120mm fans at the top of the case

EDIT: You won't need a cooler over there for the next couple of months anyway :p

I miss NZ winters for overclocking :)
      Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM.
      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Unless that setup is in a case that turns an ATX mainboard around to a BTX position (or you have a strange desktop case) then your setup herk56 is badly setup as naturally hot air rises but you're tryin' to blow hot air downwards which is against the laws of physics and all you're doing is heating things up more by sucking down warm air from the top of the case and trying to blow it over already warm components (blowing upwards or to the back is the way to go).
        Last edited by wayout44; 05-07-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X