Temps increase over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temps increase over time

Just wondering if anyone else's system does this. I leave my computer on most of the time, and after it's been on for about 3+days, the idle temps goes from around 29-31C to 34-35C. I do notice that after it idle's for a couple days, the CPU is always working at around 20-30%, instead of a complet idle, so I know that would cause my temps to raise a bit. I just don't understand why it would be working that much. I have ran a virus scans, and other utilites thinking it might be something like that, but nothing is showing up. I'm at a lost.

Thanks.

Re: Temps increase over time

Are you running Vista??

The cpu usage isn't one of those Vista backup background tasks is it?

You should be able to identify the process using the cpu in Task Manager
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Sorry, Yes I'm running Vista Prem x64. That's what I thought too, I went into Task Manager and it didn't show any of the processes using any amount of cpu. The side bar was using 01, but everything else it at 00. But my CPU usage was around 20+ percent. I had a Compaq computer with XP home SP2 with a AMD CPU and after it idle for about a week, it would do the same thing. So I thought maybe it was some software I was using, but the only thing I use on this computer as I did with XP is Yahoo IM. So I removed it from my Vista computer and no change.

Comment

That's weird, I guess the next step would be to look at services as these can run but not show up in Task Manager > Processes.

If it were XP I'd use Black Vipers site, unfortunately I have no idea if there is a similar site for Vista64 and I do not have access to a Vista64 machine to have a look, sorry but I'm not going to be much help there, maybe someone else on the forum can help you.

Cheers.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Thanks for you help, I'm going to try something my IT tech told me at work, and unplug my ethernet cable this weekend. He thinks something might be going on either sending or recieve data, but I thought that would show up in the Task Manager? Oh well, it's worth a shot.

Thanks.

Comment

I used to have a desktop pc (yes, the one with the RecyklaCooler) and the CPU gradually overheats. Diagnosis? Dried out thermal phase. Wipe off the crud and carefully put a new one. Oh, If you don't have access to thermal paste - like I did back then - my Low Tech method is to take a sheet of aluminum foil (you know, kitchen variety, make sure its clean) then fold it to a square the size of the CPU die. Then put it between the CPU and the Heatsink. Not too thick, nor too thin. If you do it right, you would have "astonishing" results. Yes, it might sound... crude... but its highly effective on my "slightly overclocked" Pentium 4. Plus, I call that resourceful and inventive.

-Aguiluz

Comment

Working...
            X