BEST watercooler?? I want to piece it together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST watercooler?? I want to piece it together

I'm looking for the best watercooling unit for a cpu and dual gpus. I currently have a thermaltake bigwater system, but I want to piece together my own system, using the largest available tubing, powerful pump, and best waterblocks available. Could I please have some suggestions? thank you

Re: BEST watercooler?? I want to piece it together

Supposed to be the best GPU block... http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-244.html

A really nice SLI setup, don't know of any other...
    Find top-quality water cooling and air cooling PC parts at FrozenCPU.com, the go-to destination for DIY PC builders and enthusiasts. Shop from a vast selection of reliable and efficient liquid cooling and air cooling components from top brands including EKWB, Watercool HEATKILLER, Aquacomputer Bitspower, and more.

They are for 7800series, they make 6800 and may have to come out with a 7900 series. If you go dual ATI you may need to run separate GPU blocks with ramsinks???

1/2" tubing is the largest that is readily supported with CPU/GPU connections.

Here's all the pump you'll ever need

Comment

Those waterblocks for the video cards you linked to are a HUGE waste of money. The VRAM does not need to be watercooled and they hurt the performance of the water loop with extra heat load and pressure drop. Get the DangerDen Maze 4 SLI kit and forget about that monstrosity NV6800/7800 stuff. That CPU waterblock is very good, but the Swiftech Storm is the ultimate CPU block. I would not buy it though. Get the Apogee, the Maze 4 SLI kit and a single pass dual 120MM heater core for the rad and you cannot go wrong. I run an Eheim 1250 pump and it kicks some serious ass and is quite cheap too. And make sure to run all 1/2" ID tubing.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Well, he did say he wanted the best...nothing about cost was mentioned. VRAM gets quite hot, hot enough to burn fingers, even with RAMsinks. Active cooling or an extremely high flowing case would be needed if you're going to do some decent overclocking with RAMsinks. But I also would not buy that setup, not with the way the GPU market has been coming out with new cards all the time.

The Apogee has a lower pressure drop and lower thermal resistance than the Storm. It shows a good performance jump in Swiftech's tests too.

Comment

I just got done with my H2O system and the Storm is great, took my temps down 8-10*c and the AS5 hasn't even set in yet. As for GPU I have a X1900XT and the Swiftech 60 with the Ramsinks works well, that temp is down 10-12*c and 1900's get hot, very hot. I do have a 80mm (very low speed) blowing on the card too, for the sinks, but I dont think I even need it. I went all Swiftech, Pump, 2x120 Rad, GPU, CPU. Im glad I did, it really works well, get the 1/2' tubbing like casecutter said, man the flow is great. Have fun, just make sure you do a good leak test! My first Radiator leaked all over, swiftech replaced it very quickly though! Good luck!

Comment

In my opinion, the NV6800/7800 blocks are definitely NOT the best. The memory absolutely does not need watercooling and you will not get it to clock higher what way. THe extra heat it dumps into the water loop plus the drop in pressure is sure to hurt performance. The memory can be cooled fine with cheap aluminum ramsinks and decent case airflow or a simple low speed fan blowing near the cards. Stay away from those blocks.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate

Comment

More performance is not the only reason to overclock, less noise also comes into play. The VRAM is not going to add much more heat, reviews show a 1C higher CPU temp at load using the DD GPU block. The GPU load temps were lower than the idle temps when they were on air. DD uses a high flow/low pressure drop design. IMO having the RAM watercooled is better than running heatsinks and running extra fans, but to each their own.

Comment

LordLianLi

this is a link to my pic

My temps for case/cpu diode/cpu socket are in the new attachment below
                Attached Files

Comment

Re: yes it's me again!!!...an another

This is a close up shot
                  Attached Files

Comment

Re: yes it's me again!!!...an another

Originally posted by jamie_horwood
                    This is a close up shot

wire management? http://svc.com/sleeving.html custom by the foot,like $20 total and like hour time,makes huge difference.any clear side case should have powersupply loomed...
                    Stacker830 Watercooled
                    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

hey is that a gigabyte g-power?
                      good one! great air cooling

Comment

Re: LordLianLi

Originally posted by jamie_horwood
                        this is a link to my pic
                        http://forums.tweaktown.com/attachme...tachmentid=228

My temps for case/cpu diode/cpu socket are in the new attachment below
                        wire mangement alone will decrease temps by 2c airflow wise for under $20 plus it actually looks nice. http://svc.com/sleeving.html as far as water cooling setup see what i put together and be here this week for under $350

my watercooling setup parts will be here this week below,whatever u do get a 1\2 tubing setup for max flow\cooling rate for running or adding multiple blocks with piece of mind u will have the flowrate ratio provided u have a nice pump,biggest rad u can afford to cool everything u should be good.and a name brand 450 watt+ powersupply is a must before u even think about doing a watercooled pc because u will be adding a pump drwas few watts and 2-3 120 mm fans,uv lights for the uv dye in the system to really bling your rig out and for leaking spotting reasons.i mean u can see a few drops of uv liquid leaking for a block,rad,res,etc.

main component***get this pump-- 83.99 -Swiftech(laing pump) MCP655 12 VDC Pump Liquid Cooling System http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=33&page=1

-----------blocks---------
                        --cpu is a must oviously(1\2in barbs only for thee best cooling power period accepting your massive 1\2 tubing being pushed by nice flowrate pump)i piked this 1 for $50 the have a all silver for $125 but its to pricey for me right now,tho some ppl think im loaded.

Danger Den 1\2 barbs (u can get any block u want,just get 1\2 barbs)cpu block i got for $50 :l http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=21&page=1

another excellent $50 cpu block http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835108080

1\2 swiftech nf4 chipset block is a must for a mere $30 ppl just think all they need is a cpu block and thats it.well the thing of it is the chipset actually controls the memory\pci express loads and voltages and gets red hot temps even higher then cpu temps at times depending on your overclock.were do u think all the fsb raises go to? your chipset!!.mine gets so hot 50c+ it holds back my overclocks hardcore..u cant get whatever u want and im NOT trying to make u spend extra money,just spend the money once and get the performance the money should buy u the first time period.this will be the only part i would like u to def get in your w\c setup http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835108079

radiater-($35-60)*remember 1\2 barbs only* get the biggest one u can afford.the more 120mm fans on it means its cooling rate is better(bigger means more capacity = cooler fluid temps) The Black Ice Xtreme 3 takes Xtreme PC Radiator performance to a higher level. Based on the powerful Black Ice Xtreme platform, the Xtreme 3 triple performance with three times the surface area accomodating three 120mm fans on a high density double row copper-finned core.this is the one i grabbed
                        http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=72&page=1

im pissed i didnt see this 1 below here..i would have got this in a minute and its $20 cheaper!! :l
                        http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=73&page=1

fluid xp---$35 32ox bottle =/ 1-2-3 bottles needed depending on radiater
                        Only one 32oz bottle needed for typical systems. When using the XtremeII, Some heater cores, and Thermochill 120mm fans x2 or larger, two bottles of 32oz may be needed.
                        !!u cannot run straight water!!u want to run 100 percent non conductive solution,non toxic for a worry free mindset if u get a leak this wont fry anything like water will or even a 50\50 mix water additative combo could do.
                        Environmentally Safe: Non-toxic, biodegradable
                        FDA approved food grade ingredients.
                        Long Lasting: 5+ year shelf life.
                        Robust: Not prone to mechanical shearing (Pumping).
                        Corrosive inhibiting: Neutral pH (pH of 7) and non-electrolytic; does not cause galvanic corrosion (if spilled in system, no need to clean between chips on board etc.) or rusting.
                        Non-conductive
                        Versatile: Formula can be tailored for various viscosities and systems.
                        Works great with UV water dye*
                        To be used as a water replacement in a cooling system. Adding water will negate the benefits of this coolant.*
                        ****http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=63&page=1 A fluid MUST for watercooled rigs(non conductive,no worries leaking wise)Fluid Xp! $35 each 32 oz bottle(i needed 3 bah)$105 pfft 3x120mm rad systems use3 bottles.

$25-Danger Den Round (Cylindrical) Reservoir-to hold your fluid,u cant get whatever u want but this one is nice cause its clear and monunts under the top of pc for easy fluid top off unlike cd drive bay Reservoirs.

good luk man and lemme know how u made out.i will let u know how mine comes out.im gonna sticks some pelteriers on my res to chill the water,but thats after i break everything in.
                        Last edited by bf2nut; 05-28-2006, 08:50 PM.
                        Stacker830 Watercooled
                        Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                        Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

I agree with almost everything you listed except the chipset block. They usually cause more problems than they solve. A higher flow aftermarket chipset cooler will work just as well and not restrict water flow. Also. putting a peltier on the reservoir is not a good idea. You would need to either have a 1000W PSU or a second PSU dedicated to just the peltier and that setup has been tried before and it did not help. Other than that, all that other stuff will make an excellent loop. Also, I just run demineralized water and a little bit of automotive antifreeze something like a 70 % water/30% anti-freeze. Although that coolant you list is supposed to be excellent, but I am not going to spend that much money on coolant.
                          Last edited by casecutter; 05-30-2006, 07:56 PM.
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
                            I agree with almost everything you listed except the chipset block. They usually cause more problems than they solve. A higher flow aftermarket chipset cooler will work just as well and not restrict water flow. Also. putting a peltier on the reservoir is not a good idea. You would need to either have a 1000W PSU or a second PSU dedicated to just the peltier and that setup has been tried before and it did not help. Other than that, all that other stuff will make an excellent loop. Also, I just run demineralized water and a little bit of automotive antifreeze something like a 70 % water/30% anti-freeze. Although that coolant you list is supposed to be excellent, but I am not going to spend that much money on coolant.
                            if u plan on overclocking u need the nf4 waterblock dude($40),thats 1 of the main things the flakes out a oc pc.cpu is 1 thing but the nf4 gets red hot when u turn everything up,and my flow rate?its purfect with swiftech,s massive pump ,1\2 tubing and i only needed 1 quart being my tubing was cut purfect to the 3 blocks.mine... http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=1761

spend the $25 on 1 quart of the mct5...the other stuff u mentioned ruins pumps(antifreeze)etc...dont put dirty socks in $300 shoes.not 1 drop of any kind of water should be in your loop.
                            Last edited by bf2nut; 06-26-2006, 07:01 PM.
                            Stacker830 Watercooled

Comment

How is it possible that water or antifreeze could ruin the pump? It is designed to pump water and made of Delrin platics. I have been running water in my loops for over 2 years and not had any pump wear/failure and I have not had any issues at all with any of my waterblocks. And running a chipset block is not neccessary and just adds restriction to the loop. I ran a DFI SLI-D with 2 6800GS cards in SLI with the stock chipset cooler and my chipset was never over 45C. It is all about airflow and if you don't do a good job for airflow then you have problems. I ran my 165 Opteron @ 3GHz 24/7 on that board and I was also running OCZ VX high voltage ram You could not possibly stress that chipset much more than I was and it never got close to too warm. And your link only works if someone is a member of that forum.
                              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                              PC P&C 500W PSU
                              2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                              X