Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which part of motherboard needs to cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which part of motherboard needs to cool?

That's just a pic of my mobo. Is it the heatsink below the CPU that needs the most cooling on the mobo?

Got another question. Can I remove the case fan from the power suply box and move it towards another mounting spot just right below the PSU? Will the PSU burn like that or something?

Alright. Thanks.

Re: Which part of motherboard needs to cool?

Hello, I am here to help answer your questions; as we all know, the component that needs to be cooled the most in your PC is probably the CPU. However, most people would ask how cool is enough? Well, as cool as you can get, but not too cool, because when the air inside the CPU gets too cool and for some reason if it gets a chance to interact with hot air, it will form fog, which could form dews, which are water droplets and could ruin your PC, but if you are just using fans and heatsinks to cool your PC then you have nothing to worry about.

Now to get a bit more technical about why we need to cool the heat sink on top of the CPU. Well, as you know, in thermal energy transferring, the energy from the hotter object will keep on transferring over to the cooler object until it reaches the state of equilibrium, which means the temperature of the objects are the same. For example, if you are holding a hot glass of water (which I think you won't), the thermal energy from the glass will keep on transferring over to your hands until the temperature of your hands and the glass are equal, then it will stop. For that reason, if you want to indirectly cool the glass of water faster, you can blow on your hands. By blowing on your hands, you will remove the thermal energy away from it faster, allowing the thermal energy from the glass to transfer to your hand faster or should I say more efficient. That same principle applies to how heatsinks cool down CPUs. By putting the heatsink on the cpu alone, you can still cool down the CPU, but it's not efficient, we want to remove those heat away from the CPU as fast and as efficiency as possible, so, that's why we slap the big old fan that spins at a few thousand RPM on top of the heatsink. Now, of course, to make it even more efficient, we apply thermal adhesive/paste inbetween the CPU and the headsink, because the more of the surface of the CPU touches the heatsink, the more thermal it can transfer at a given time. That's why old CPUs can work fine without fan on top of its heatsink, because old CPUs are not hot enough (doesn't consume as much power) to a point where they needed fan to help cool the heatsinks. However, that's no longer to case.

Now to answer your second question; don't ever remove the fans from the power supply, the CPU only consume a fraction of the power supply by the power supply and it's already that hot, the power supply (has to convert the power source from your outlet to a form that your computer can use) is providing power for the whole system, so it's very hot. I can guarantee you if you remove the
    fan(s) from the power supply, it will die very fast.

I hope that helps answer your questions.
    Last edited by Lone7; 10-06-2005, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X