Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 idle 41 load... is this normal? AMD xp 2200+

Hey all,

I'm a little concerned with my temperature readings. I'm using motherboard monitor 5 to monitor my AMD xp2200+ on an Epox EP-8RDA mobo. 2 case fans (intake lower front, exhaust rear under PSU in a mid tower case).

i have no doubt that my temps should be nice and low, but why is there so little change btwn idle and load? maybe i'm not pushing like i think i am? every time i burn a dvd, the task manager claims it's at 100% cpu processor usage for a good 2 hours (with all the quality settings on that is), yet the temps stay there. sometimes they get up to like 42-43 at the most. is this just because i'm doing that good of a job keeping my system cool?

my tower is right next to the door of my dorm room and i usually leave the door open when i'm there (outside temps around 60 degrees F) and my ceiling fan is always on full blast (basically it's always and icebox in my room and i am walking around in a sweatshirt)

Re: 39 idle 41 load... is this normal? AMD xp 2200+

I beleive you have nothing to worry about.
    I do have an AMD XP 2000+ running at:

53 Iddle, 59 After 2 hours of CS S.

And, I am not worried.

Good Day

Comment

I just read through my original post and it didn't really say what i wanted it to. haha

What I'm concerned about is whether my temp readings might be INCORRECT. Especially since the temp difference btwn idle and load is only a coupld degrees celsius.

Comment

It could be off, but it could also be very accurate. If you (or someone else) had some good cooling installed then the diffrence could be that low, same if you have realy good airflow. If you are running your stock cooler however, I could see why you are concerned.

My friend uses his Athlon (Thoroughbred mind you) to heat his feet while he's working at his desk.
        The XP's can take quite a bit of heat if they have to, I wouldent be to worried about it. In any case, touch the heatsink and see how much heat it is giving off.

Also in my experiance MBM5 doesent read the temps properly, but it did not suppory my "exact" model boards so... I use speedfan, thats the closest that I have seen to my temps, give it a try aswell and compare the two temps from your programs...

Comment

I have pretty good airflow, and it's not the stock hsf. It's nothing great, just a little bigger with a better fan (bought it at bestbuy one night a while back).

My temps have changed now because i OC'ed again. the 2200+ is back up to 2400+ (133 FSB, 15.0 multi, = about 2.0 ghz), and the RAM is down to 2 sticks at 333mhz, as shown in my updated signature...

Temps are now up to 43-44 idle, 48-49 load. Is this acceptable? I'm considering getting a new hsf. what should i get? i really don't want a jet engine in my room.

Comment

Zalman has some really nice ones that cool well. They are known for making effective, and very quite HSF's. Though those temps are good and not in the danger level, but I never let mine get above 35 at idle.

Comment

Working...
            X