Overheating and Restarting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overheating and Restarting

Try running memtest86+ (in sig) for a while to make sure it's not the memory and try running Prime95 (google it) for a few hours. I'm putting my money on this being a hradware problem rather than software, so this will see if you have any sort of instability problems as a result of heat or bad/damaged hardware.

Comment

Hey I had that problem too. Have you tried to over clock your graphics card, or cpu? Or did you use the DOT technology? Or did you mess with you memory setting IE clock speed? If so reset to default. If you chose maximum performance or what ever it's called in the bios reset to default, the should work. If not I'm out of Ideas. Does anyone know what size hard drive this will support(maximum size?)

Comment

I have a factory overclock Nvidia 5700 BFG, I dont know how to turn off this overclocking so i am at loss. My CPU is set to default right now too, so it may just be the video card.

Comment

How do i use memtest?

Comment

Download it and follow the included instructions... It will go on a floppy that you boot to from outside Windows.

Comment

So I have finally narrowed down the two possibilities of why the computer is restarting using Prime95 and Memtest, its either the CPU not taking the heat too well or my Factory overclock graphics card not taking the heat.

Any ideas on what type of heatsink to buy for a Intel P4 Prescott 3.2?

Comment

Have you tried increasing the memory voltage by 0.1v and the Vcore to 1.600-1.625v?

Comment

I tried upping the voltage, it restarted it once it got that high.

Comment

I have you Prescott 3.2 ghz that restarts too. The computer is from Medion (M3 Composer 5200). The cooler it's ok. The tempeture stays at C 55 +-.
                    I read somebody saying to disable the "automatically restart" at the "Startup and Recovery" so i did it. Some minutes later appeared the blue screen and it said:
                    Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal
                    And at the botton: 3CUSLR98.sys
                    What does it means and what should i do?
                    Thank you!!!!

Comment

With Prescott's its a good idea to make sure that you use something like Arctic Silver 5 (or something nearly as good) for good heat transference and that the HSF makes good contact with the CPU (sometimes the HSF pins don't lock down right a the s775 mainboard if your's is one) plus you really need a well ventilated case.

Comment

I have a p4 3.0ghz HT prescott, Radeon 9600pro SB audigy. The CPU was running hot with the stock intel HSU so i bought a Zalman copper HSU and the Idle temp went down to 37.C but not for long and was still heating to 59c-60c at full load. It's now even worst than before because my computer freeze when i start the PRIME95 test or in the middle or begenning of a game and when i restart the cpu it often freeze during the bootup. Is it possible that i damaged something in the processor when i changed the HSU ?
                        I just scan with spybot S&D and its overheating 63c Anyone can help for this maybe the thermal grease that ciomes with it S*cks oR I misinstalled it. I will try the artic silver 5 you're talking about.

Comment

Do you have a 'CPU' alarm in your bios settings that beeps at a certain temp? Reason I ask is my prescott used to run 60+ and up to 75 in game but never restarted on me.. Only thing it would do is beep like mad..

I would tend to think it isn't a heat issue at all. You might want to look into other areas that would cause this such as your power supply.

*Nickson. You most likely put too much or not enough paste on when you reinstalled the CPU. Try redoing that and see what you get.
                          Last edited by PacketStorm; 02-23-2005, 10:25 AM.
                          Dedicated Game Server Rental
                          Ventrilo Server Hosting
                          www.DefconServers.com

Comment

I have this problem, too. I already changed my motherboard from Asus P4P800S-X to Foxconn 865 Series motherboard, but still, it restarts. My CPU idle temperature is 55 degrees celcius. Im using Task 450 W PSU. What shall I do?

Comment

Those Zalman coolers are a pain in the ass to get on right. And the themal grease that comes with them is not that good. Get some Arctic Silver 5 and try reinstalling it. Remember, you don't need much of the paste, just a very thin coat to fill in the imperfections. Arctic Silver has great instructions on their website for applying it properly. Also, try running with the side panel off the case and use a box fan or window fan and blow it straight inside to see if it helps. I had a 2.8E prescott and I had the shutdown temp @ 70C. While I would not want it running that hot, 60C is not unheard of and shouldn't damage the CPU. It sounds like your case has airflow issues too.
                              Last edited by casecutter; 09-27-2005, 04:21 PM.
                              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                              Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                              Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                              Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                              PC P&C 500W PSU
                              2TB Seagate
                              Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
                              X