Post Your Crazy Cooling ideas Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Your Crazy Cooling ideas Here!

Got bored at school and started thinking of wacky ways to cool computers. Here something I whipped up on in Photoshop... yea you're jealous.

So Post some crazy cooling ideas, maybe some of them will actually work!
    -c0ntra
    Last edited by c0ntra; 09-22-2004, 09:01 PM.

Re: Post Your Crazy Cooling ideas Here!

Photoshop? I could do that in Paint. No one has paint skillz like me...

I'm not much for ideas myself, but this site has some interesting stuff.

Comment

Wow, that site rules... I like the overclocking of batteries and the ramsinks made out of pennies. PS Im in the process of drawing another crazy idea.
      Last edited by c0ntra; 09-22-2004, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I almost did the penny RAMsinks, but it's really not worth it unless you use it with Actic Silver 5 and smooth off the surfaces.

Comment

Here it is. Come on people Post ANY IDEA.

NEW: Saw the infomercial and came up with the idea.
          Last edited by c0ntra; 09-22-2004, 09:01 PM.

Comment

On a more serious note... Think this one actually might work. Ill try in the next couple months. Post comments please, we need to get this forum jumping.

Comment

Umm, yeah jealous for sure.....................why didn't I think of that ages ago

http://www.overclockers.com/articles975/

Comment

Damn he beat me to it. I wonder why he has no problems with condensation forming, Thailand is humid as hell. He needs to buy some new ramm though.

Comment

Yes you are right.....I have since replaced the RAM CPU and mobo. The original parts I used because I already had them and wanted to test in the fridge first before buying more expensive stuff.
                  There is no condensation because the fridge is completely sealed. Condensation forms when cold & hot air meet. Keep them separate :-)
                  FYI now running A7v600-X mobo, 256mb Corsair XMS3200 C2 RAM and a Barton XP2500+ CPU thats not locked. With the new setup I get condensation on the outside of the "door" but just on the lower part where the water tank is. Inside, no problem.

Comment

Thats awesome. How much did it cost overall.. where did you get that fridge?

Comment

The fridge is one of the ones that you see in hotel rooms everywhere, well at least here in Asia. I bought it, barely used for US$60-00. That was the cheap part!!
                      Actualy I didn't keep an accurate record of what the whole setup cost but the only real price difference between this and a "normal" computer is the cost of the water cooling and fridge mods. The fridge cost the same as the server case on my other computer and then there were just countless hours and roughly US$150-00 for the plastic,water pump and stainless steel for the door frame
                      Last edited by lek996; 09-26-2004, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Yay, my first post.
                        Okay, anyway, down to business. I picked a mini fridge up at a yard sale a month or two ago and I've been eyeballing it ever since. Basically what Im going to do is set up a regular water cooling system, But instead of using the radiator and reservoir to cool the water down, I'm going to mount the entire reservoir inside the freezer area of the refrigerator. The freezer area is really no more then a little box at the top of the 'fridge with extra coolant (pipes? coils? whatchamacallems?) running through it. The box measures 12.5" long x 5" high x 11" deep, making plenty of room for a very large res. So I plan to have the computer/ pump(s) mounted ontop of the fridge, then have the water pumped into/out of fridge. I plan to use 1/2" tubing, most likely silicon considering it fairs in the cold a whole lot better then vinyl. So here is where I would like some advice:

-It will be a fairly long way from the hole in the side of the fridge to the blocks then back to the res, what kind of pump should I use? Possibly should I have more then one? Like one at the exit of the res and one at the entry to give it that extra umph?

-Since the water coming from inside the freezer definetly is going to be lower then the ambient temperature, what should I do about condensation? Possibly really large bags of silicon beads? :P

-Anything else that I haven't thought of?

Comment

Why not just build the computer inside a freezer? The freezer would all ready be de-humidified.

Comment

Well here are my two issues with that.
                            1: The refridgerator isn't really that big
                            2: I kinda like to be able to see my comp
                            3: The fridge isn't air tight. I had to defrost it yesterday because of the incredible amount of ice in it.

Comment

First Off, Hey Jack...

Alright, the biggest problem with the refrigerator idea is that yes there is condensation, however this condensation is only formed when you open the refrigerator door (hot air hitting cool surface). So your gunna need to put the reservoir in, find a way to route the tubes out while keeping the freezer perfectly air tight, and never ever open the door. That silicon idea aint bad either, maybe use a mini dehumidifier.

Comment

Working...
                              X