Problems with Hardcano 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Hardcano 12

I've just got my Hardcano 12 and I've got two surprises. The good one is that in spite of all the reviews saying that it didn't have memory of the settings when powered off, it is not true. My unit remembers all the settings, including if it was in Auto or Manual mode.

The bad surprise is that it has a constant high pitch tone that can be heard all over the room. I've tried with some foam around the inverter with no luck. Any ideas of how to get rid of this noise?

Re: Problems with Hardcano 12

Hi rperezlo,

I'm on my second Hardcano 12 - the first one started to make an 'eeeeeeeee' noise which drove me mad. I sent it back to Dabs UK, and the second one I bought from them also has the high pitched noise. Sorry I can't help, all I can do is ask if anyone else has solutions apart from another RMA?

Nick

Comment

Update: I've narrowed the source of the noise down to the LCD screen... well the 2 pin cable that connects the LCD to the circuit board. Pulling that out kills the high pitched 'eeeeeeeeeeee' noise, but makes a new, lower pitched noise and of course also kills the power to the LCD background.

Don't know any way around this... tried using a lower Dell 360W PSU instead of my Thermaltake 'Purepower' 420W... no effect. I hope that by leaving it on for a week it might 'wear in', or it's RMA time. Not exactly scientific, but if anyone has any suggestions apart from destroying it, I'm all ears!

Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

I also tried to unplug the LCD backlight with the same results. And after almost one month of running the PC 24x7 the noise didn't change a bit. The only way I could think of stopping the noise was to put a switch to the inverter (the black box close to the LCD cable connector), but that involved soldering in the PCB, something that I didn't want to do. Removing the 12 VDC power to the inverter you would be able to switch both the light and the noise off.

So what I've finally done is sending it back to the seller and ordering a t-balancer over the internet. The link is here:

http://www.mcubed-tech.com/eng/

I've received it today and I'll install it this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested.

Regards.

Rafa.

Comment

Update:

The t-balancer works exactly as advertised in the web page. I have it programmed so that all the fans (including the CPU fan but not the PS fan that anyway I almost can't hear) are off most of the time.

I had a shock yesterday night when I suddenly was listening to the wind in my window (well, and maybe some faint unidentified click from inside the PC, I think it was the PS fan bearing).

I'm sorry for Thermaltake, but I'm very happy I returned the Hardcano 12 and got this one.

Comment

Hiya Rafa,

I've just returned the product to Dabs UK, will soon find out if I can get a refund / replacement.

I've looked at the T-Balancer, it appears to be quite a good product. I think I will need to buy a 4 pin to 3 pin connector (the same ones that came with the Hardcano 12) to use my case fan with this product, as the case fan only has a 4 pin molex.

Can you tell me will I also need to buy a 4 pin to 3 pin connector to control the case fan (which looks like: http://www.clickonit.com/product.php?product=167636)?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Comment

Yes, you will need to purchase the 4 pin to 3 pin connector for all the fans that have a 4 pin connectors. The Thermaltake that the link points at has a 4 pin connector.

Remember that with 4 pin fans you don't have the rpm monitoring (it was the same with the Hardcano). Not a problem, but a pity.

Comment

Thanks for your help, I think I will go and buy one as soon as I find that connector!

Cheers,
                Nick

Comment

You might want to try sending it back. It might be a defect.

Comment

Silly me, I tried to see if the Hardcano 12 would work after all this time. Of course, it didn't and still made that noise. Maybe it's only with Dabs.com that this problem occurs.

Anyway, I found a place that does both a T-Balancer and fan cable - it arrived yesterday from KustomPCs... quick service there. Let's see if this little thing does the trick!

Comment

Working...
                    X