Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northbridge heatsink for the Southbridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northbridge heatsink for the Southbridge?

Hello everyone. I plan on buying a Thermalright NB-1 for my northbridge and I figured I might as well buy something for my southbridge as well. I was looking at the Zalman ZM-NB32J and ZM-NB47J. Since they are only around $4 figured I would buy one for my southbridge even though they are made for the northbridge. And well, I was wondering if anyone knew if a NB heatsink can be used on the SB? I have an EPoX 8RDA+ rev 1.1 and an Aero7+ HS on my cpu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Zack

Most Northbridge coolers, especially those using a fan, mount by means of two plastic push-pins that go through the board. Most Southbridge chipsets don't have these two holes. They also don't tend to get overly hot even when overclocking, but if you want to install something on it you can probably easily mount a passive heatsink pretty easily. There are many ways to do this, but thermal epoxy is going to be one of the best, albeit a permanent job.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks Darthtanion. Luckily my 8RDA+ does have some mounting holes for the southbridge so I will be able to pin it down. However, I was also wondering if, since the SB is different fromthe NB, the chips are different hights and therefore might have different pressure applied when pinning and heatsink. I wouldn't want to crush anything,hehe.

Sincerely,
      Zack

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem as all the mounting pins I have seen so far have a small spring under the head. This will give leeway for differing chipset heights and also allow you to still maintain a proper pressure to keep the cooler in place. Don't forget the TIM though!
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Thanks a bunch Darthtanion. As for TIMs I have AS3 and Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive. And since I have holes for the pins I'll be able to use the AS3. Well, thanks again.

Comment

be careful with that artic silver. it conducts electricity if you get any of it on the traces on the board it could cause a short. artic silver ceramique might be better, it doesnt conduct electricity

Comment

Ok, I did not know that. Thanks metallicat666, but I don't have any ceramique and I don't want to use an adhesive so I guess I'll have to be extra careful.

Comment

Working...
              X