Thermaltake volcano 9 CPU Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermaltake volcano 9 CPU Fan

Has anyone had any problems with this fan?
    The reason i ask is that i have just bought one and i'm really disapointed with it. First of all is bloody noisy and secondly it does worse than the standard fan i had there before when it comes to cooling.
    I know the max rpm is 4800 but mine runs at over 5200rpm but if i go below this my temp goes up to 65. As well as that i have to drop my cpu voltage from 1.75v to 1.6v which is no good because i have an AMD Athlon XP2100+ (Palomino) which should be at 1.75v as standard. I have also had the fan sockets tested for the voltage output and they are fine so i am totlally at a loss at the moment and thinking of chucking it out the window.

I was hoping i would be able to overclock with this fan, this fan i think should easily be able do a small overclock as the palomino won't go above 1800mhz or so and this fan is suppose to to able to go upto an XP3400.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I have tried to take it back to the shop but they have said there is nothing wrong with it but the above specs can't be right are they?

I forgot to add that i have 2 case fans as well, one on the front as the intake and one on the back as an exhaust but as for the make of the case i have no idea (i know its a midi tower), there are no places for fans on the side or anything just 2 places at the back (one above the other next to the usb sockets etc) and two next to each other at the bottom on the front of the case. The back one is placed below the cpu fan.

Few things to consider.

First, what kind of thermalpaste are you using? Any? Cos a temp of 65 doesn't sound like it. Try some arctic Silver 5 (retails at $30, but worth it)

Second, 2x80mm is probably a little low for hardcore overclocking. Now, you said you have room to mount 4? Why not? If my Physics is right, that will only raise your dBa level by 6. Thats not much for the 60cfm or so increase you'll get.

Lastly, if you've taken the fan apart, or had to put it together, make sure its on the right way. Same goes for ALL your case fans, this can be a real problem in airflow.

Comment

Yes i m using paste and its the paste that came with the fan and yes it does run at between 60 - 65 (if i had a digital camera i would take a photo of the bios screen and show you) I'm not looking to do any hardcore overclocking, just increase it at little bit from its standard 1734MHz (i think thats what it is running at without checking) to around 1800MHz. This isn't hardcore overclocking is it? I've already checked to see if the fan is the right way round etc and yes my system fans are the right way round. I bought 2 more fans this morning before i read your reply and still no difference.

Also why does it run at above 5200rpm when i set it to run at full speed without the adjustable control or temperature parts when the max is supposed to be 4800rpm????????????

I have read loads about setting up the case fans and i'm pretty sure i have them set up correctly (in throught the front and out the back)

Do you think its worth making my own mods and putting a fan on th side and top of the case??

Comment

paste that came with the fan? you mean the thermal pad stuck on the bottom!?!? if so take that off!!!! rubbing alcohol.....use real compound....

adding more fans wont decrease your CPU temp....

and odds are the bios is just reading it high.....

Comment

Arctic silver ceramique is just as good as as3 and I pay $5cdn locally. It's 50-70% cheaper than the competition(even their own). And it does not conduct electricity.
          athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
          tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
          asus a7n8xe-dlx
          thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
          bfg 6800gt
          seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
          samsung dvdrw
          2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
          logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
          2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
          creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
          mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
          DFI infinity nf4 ultra
          thermaltake tsunami dream -black
          seagate sataII 500gb
          evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
          samsung sata dvd-rw
          2x1024 ocz black
          logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
          ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

The paste came in a little packet (white thick cream kind of stuff) and was not a pad already stuck on the bottom.
            If the bios is reading the temp wrong is there anything i can do to fix it or test it myself to see what the temp is? i already have the latest bios for my board so i can't update that.
            Also could it be reading the fans rpm wrong as well?

Comment

The paste came in a little packet (white thick cream kind of stuff) and was not a pad already stuck on the bottom.
              If the bios is reading the temp wrong is there anything i can do to fix it or test it myself to see what the temp is? i already have the latest bios for my board so i can't update that.
              Also could it be reading the fans rpm wrong as well?

Comment

the "white thick cream stuff" as you describe it is **** low quality silicon based compound. get sone silver based paste.

Comment

Working...
                X