Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing my heatsink / fan

Hello,

I've got a AMD heatsink fan on my Athlon 2800+ and it seems to run at about 50C, I dont think its too hot but thought I'd try a different heatsink and fan, so my question is...

When I remove the orginal heatsink etc, should I clean the chip? with what? Also, what kind of compond should I use when putting a new heatsink on, can't you get pads, gel and all sorts? Just want some newbie advice really.

Thanks in advance,
    :)

Yes, clean the chip, you can do it with an ordinary pocket knife and scrape it off, if you're careful. Use some rubbing alchol to prep the surface afterwards and let it dry. You should use something like Arctic Silver 5 for your compound, you don't want to get pads, they just plain suck.

Incidentaly, is that 50C during a full load?

Comment

Thanks,

50C seems to be the generall running temp, havn't really bashed it yet so CPU activity is on-and-off.

By the way, can you just talk me through compond use, do I just put a little ontop of the chip (where the pad would go) between the chip and heatsink?

Thanks again,

Comment

Sure, here's a direct link to Arctic Silver for you, they'll explain it better than I can.

Hope that helps :D .

PS: The reason I asked about the temperature is cause if that's the temp you get under a full load, it's not bad but it's not good. You wanna try and get it down into the mid 40's range to be safe.

Comment

Use a credit card to scrape, never use metal instruments. Lighter fluid like ronsonol or zippo(not butane)used with kleenex and qtips disolves gunk well. Finish up with pure rubbing alcohol.
          athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
          tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
          asus a7n8xe-dlx
          thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
          bfg 6800gt
          seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
          samsung dvdrw
          2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
          logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
          2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
          creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
          mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
          DFI infinity nf4 ultra
          thermaltake tsunami dream -black
          seagate sataII 500gb
          evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
          samsung sata dvd-rw
          2x1024 ocz black
          logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
          ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Cheers guys,

I used a credit card and some thermal grease I got with the new fan, it worked a treat and at first glance it looks like the temp's dropped by around 4 degrees!

Nice one.

:)

Comment

Working...
            X