Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, need some constructive opinions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, need some constructive opinions....

Hey folks, i've been reading these forums for a while and I finally decided to join.

I need your opinions on something.

I have this case : http://www.soyo.com.tw/products/proddesc.php?id=184

So far i've modded a 120mm fan to the top inside and put a grill over it to keep crap out, and I have it running as an exhaust. This, of course is running along with two 80mm case fans front/back and the processor fan(also 80mm). Now for the longest time the CPU and Case temps ran even at around 35C idle and roughly 40C load. But just recently it started running a Case temp of about 41C idle and almost 50C load. Now i'm just new to the modding community and i'm asking if these newer temps are good or bad. From what i've gathered, between 30C-45C are where I wanna be. Also my current room temp is 72F.

Here are my spec:

Intel P4 1.7GHz(OC'd to 2.0GHz)
    Via P4PA 400MHz FSB mainboard
    384Mb of Corsair PC2100 Ram(default speed)
    gForce4 MX440SE 128Mb(OC'd to 275MHz Core speed and 352MHz Memory speed)

Keep in mind that I was running these specs before the temperature change.

So if anyone can offer any ideas as to why the temp increase all of a sudden, i'd sure appreciate it.

Also, I was wondering if I should turn the top fan around and use it as another intake instead of exhaust. Or is that a bad idea?

More than likely it will be something to do with the HSF. Possibly you have gotten too much dirt and crud in there (these should be cleaned with compressed air at least every couple of months) or maybe the system was jarred and the thermal compound no longer has a solid film between the HSF and the processor core.

I'd start by removing the HSF, cleaning it and reinstalling it with a fresh coating of Arctic Silver or something comparable.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I just cleaned it recently so it shouldn't be clogged, but i'll give it a once over again. I'll check on the HSF as well. I may have to redo the compound as i've had it off once I think.

Thing is, it's not the CPU that's giving me the trouble it's my case temp. It just all of a sudden jumped from 35C to around 40C.

Comment

did your room temps change??

Comment

My room temp averages between 70F to 85F.

Comment

Hehe, you're gonna laugh :lol: . I moved my PC out of the corner to the left side of my monitor and the Case temp dropped to 36C at idle and runs around 38C load. Guess it wasn't getting any circulated air in the corner.

So anyway, my new temps are:

CPU (Idle): 36C
            CPU (Load): Around 45C

System (Idle): 36C
            System (Load): 38C

So do you think I have room for a higher clock?

Comment

Working...
            X