new case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new case?

I have an older ATX case that doesn't have any place to install a case fan. Right now, the only fan is for the 400w psu.

My cpu is idling around 54C and the board is reading about 35C (according to the gigabyte temp monitor)

Do I need to consider a new case with fans?

system:
    AMD Athlon 2500+ w/retail fan
    gigabyte 7VT600 mobo (no chipset fan)
    2 hdd
    2 cd rom
    sb live platinum 5.1 w/face plate :?

Just mod it! search in the forums, some threads talk about this!

Comment

just take a bi-metal hole saw (get one from your local hardware store), 3.5" works for 92mm fans. Cut a hole in the back and one in the front (or in the side panel toward the front if there is no room) and another buy the graphics cards. The front and side fans (or side and side) should be intake with filters, and the back should be exhaust, along with the PSU. Buy three of the same kind of 92mm fans and filters for the two intake ones. You'll have slightly positive case pressure, which will keep dust form building up inside :thumb: .

: peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I checked my case and there is simply no space to put a case fan. Most cases have space next to the I/O connectors, but my case only has about 2" clearance.

The retail cpu fan that came with my AMD Athlon XP 2500+ cpu has a 'patch', so I added some paste. When I restarted, the temp monitor said my temp was down to about 116F, but soon went back to the usual 135F (about 54C). Guess I need a better cpu fan as well?

Comment

Looking at the general dearth of fans in your case for such a powerful processor (relatively speaking) I would suggest the new case with included fans. If the case is that old, it more than likely also has a weaker power supply, and you could use the upgrade, especially with the full amount of peripherals you're running. Yes, you can mod the case you have, but it sounds like a tough prospect, and the with price of modding supplies and tools you may have to buy, you may be better off with a fresh one. There are many cases available with a full array of fans with places for more that include a 400W PSU or better (Recommended) for around $50. I would look at cases by Antec, Chieftec or any of the UNEEC clones if you're looking for more cooling performance, at a slightly higher price.
          The thermal paste on that "patch" you mentioned is a copper core, and it's actually a decent cooler. You may be fine with the stock cooler if you fix your case ventilation and run at stock speeds. I would recommend a better heatsink/fan than the stock AMD cooler you're using if you plan to experiment with overclocking.
          Before I built my first computer, I read one suggestion that I thought was silly at the time, but now I totally agree with, and that was when building a new system, always spend the money on a case that you like the looks of. The case is the part of the computer that you see and interact with daily, and has a great deal to do with how happy you will be with the decisions you made and the money you spent. Get a nice case, you'll be happier. :D

Comment

hey i got a case for sale, its silver comes with 3 fans, and 3 cathod lights with on/off switch, also has easy slide rails, quick clip hdd drivebays, trying to get $75 for it. Uses a clip system for fans so u dont need screws, never had any problem with airflow using only 3 fans, selling cause im goin water-cooled! leem know if your interested! I got pics too

Comment

As I mentioned earlier, my old case did not have space in the back panel for a case fan. I went to my neighborhood computer dealer and bought a case with a single case fan on the rear panel and mounting for a fan on the front. I noticed that in my old case, the cpu fan was about 2cm from the power supply fan (facing each other). In the new case, there is much more space between the cpu and the psu fans. Could that have played a part in my relatively high cpu temps?

Comment

theres no reason why u can't mount fans on that case ...
                do they "HAVE" to be on the "inside" of the case ??

Comment

Now that I've bought a new case, I see I could have gone through the hassle of buying a side panel with a fan cutout. Is it hard to avoid metal chips when cutting out the side panel?

Comment

so long as you do it right with the circle cutter, youll be fine....

Comment

Take all the electronics out of the case before cutting any metal. And use a vacuum and damp cloth to clean it 100% before reassembley. The mounting spots for the fans need to be cut out as well. Air won't flow through the tiny holes.
                      athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                      tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                      asus a7n8xe-dlx
                      thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                      bfg 6800gt
                      seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                      samsung dvdrw
                      2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                      logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                      2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                      creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                      mushkin 550w