are these good solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these good solutions?

recently i built a new rig for my first time. everything seems to be going fine other than the fact that my system is running hot. my system runs stable until i play a 3D game where it will either crash to desktop or the computer will spontaneously reboot.

ambient room temp: 20*c
    mobo temp on first boot of the day: 20*c
    cpu temp on first boot of the day: 35*c

after 15 min.
    mobo temp: 31*c
    cpu diode sensor in idle: 51*c
    cpu socket sensor in idle: 40*c

cpu full load
    monitor alarm goes off (set to 70*c) and system reboots

taking the side of the case off did not alter the temps at all.

my hsf is using the thermal pad between it and the processor. yes, i did remove the plastic strip before installation. there is no shim being used between the hsf and cpu. the hsf is mounted properly.

i've been considering adding a second case fan. my case only has two spots to mount them both located at the back. i have a fan there now mounted closest to the cpu extracting air and have been told that if i add a second fan to have it do the same. air is supposed to be sufficiently drawn into the case through the vents located on both of it's sides. i'm considering purchasing a stronger wattage psu (enermax dual fan 350w) for better airflow as my current psu lacks an extraction fan near the processor.

i'm also debating replacing the stock hsf that came with my xp 3000 and purchasing a thermaltake volcano 11+ hsf instead and using thermal grease such as arctic silver. i've been hesitant about using a product like arctic silver because i've heard that those products aren't good permanent solutions. does this mean it'd have to be replaced after x amount of time? could anyone comment on that?

i would like to overclock my cpu to 400mhz so that i can utilize the full potential of my cpu, ram and mobo but dare not attempt this until i solve my heat issue first.

do these sound like good solutions? any ideas of how to prioritize these solutions? i think i can only manage getting the psu or the hsf/case fan atm. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Yep the standard retail HSF really sucks but there are better and quieter HSF's than the Volcano 11+ (the Volcano 7+, Volcano 12 and Silent Boost bein' a few). Case airflow does seem to be ya biggest prob though but a pic or link to the case would help for any suggestions in that area.

Comment

You may want to check out the link about Silver Thermal Paste that was in the news yesterday. It doesnt affect the Artic Silver, but it is an intersting read, gives ya something to look out for.

If your wanting to OC, go with the Volcano 7+ or the jet7/aero7+ are really good coolers too, and they look different so its a bonus if you have the window.

Comment

this link shows the vents on the sides of the case

this link shows inside the case

Comment

Oh yes I know that case only to well but it does have very poor airflow charactoristics but addin' the 2nd fan may help though that case is more suited to Celerons than high performance CPU's which generate a lot of heat. The addition of an intake fan over the AGP/PCI slots in the side panel would also help.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyck15
            You may want to check out the link about Silver Thermal Paste that was in the news yesterday. It doesnt affect the Artic Silver, but it is an intersting read, gives ya something to look out for.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/modules...rder=0&thold=0
            :eek: now that is something you should all read
            [b]OCZ Ultra II Silver Thermal Compound and CompUSA's Silver Paste are composed of Aluminum Oxide in a Polymeric binder of dimethyl Siloxane (silicone) and it appeared to have contained some organic Silver coloring to give it a silver 'appearance' and possibly a small amount of aluminum flake. There were traces of hydrocarbons and traces of Copper and Zinc. The lab report also states that OCZ Ultra II Premium Silver compound AND CompUSA's silver grease were most likely made by the same manufacturer and their chemical makeup was very similar, probably different batch numbers from the same manufacturer. That I found interesting
            The Lab reports and my topical test clearly and unequivocally showed there is ZERO Silver (Ag) in either OCZ Ultra II Premium Silver compound AND CompUSA's silver grease.

Comment

I thought everyone heard about that as I followed a link from here somewhere back to this, http://www.overclockers.com/articles938/, a few days back. :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                I thought everyone heard about that as I followed a link from here somewhere back to this, http://www.overclockers.com/articles938/, a few days back. :?:
                nah, i guess I missed it somehow :shrug:

Comment

thank you very much for the input everyone. i decided that for now i'll have to keep my current case but i plan on upgrading it asap to something with better ventilation. i feel i got hosed on that one by the local vendor as i was steered to my current case over some of those nice looking thermaltake cases. i wanted to treat myself for recently having quit smoking so i'll add that on top of the 22" sony crt flatscreen i plan on getting in about 6wks. i decided that i will replace my hsf with a thermaltake volcano (most likely the 7+). i also plan on changing my psu to one with a fan above the processor to help with heat removal at the same time i change my hsf. hopefully, this will be adequate. thanks again. love these forums btw. many a question or consideration i've had has been answered in the numerous times i've lurked through them.

Comment

Working...
                  X