Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra cooling

Hi again Guys.

I'd just like to know if you guys generally would extol the virtues of installing an extra fan in the ceiling of my case.

At present I've got an intake fan in the lower front and an exhaust in the mid/upper rear, not to mention the obligatory exhaust on the power supply.

Considering I run a very modest and under-cooked system I'm getting temps of 50c CPU and 34c system which seem a little high all things considered.

I've seen fans installed in the ceiling of cases before and would like to know if it's really worthwhile - or even if it would be worth me turning the exhaust in the mid/upper rear around so it's blowin' into the case rather than out, thus leaving the PSU exhaust with the task of venting the case.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

it would probably do you more good to get a better HSF, but that's only an assumption since I don't know what you have.

Depending on the case, a top exhaust may or may not be a good idea. In either case, if you put a fan in the top, you should make it a large, slow fan. That way it will remove the hot air from the top without diverting too much cool intake air from the cpu.

What ever you do, don't reverse the fan in the rear of the case. The PSU fan is only good at cooling the PSU, not removing air from the case.

Comment

An AGP/PCI intake fan in the side panel would also likely help ya with balancin' the airflow in ya case. ATM ya only have 1 intake fan but with the rear exhaust fan and PSU exhaust fan ya case is runnin' negative pressure but with the side intake fitted that should bring ya close to a positive pressure enviroment inside.

Comment

Well funnily enough this is what got me thinkin' on coolin' issues today - I fitted my new Coolermaster which came in the post today - because the only exhaust outlet I had previously was the PSU I utilised the old HS fan which I took off the CPU as a second rear exhaust which is positioned about 8-10 cm below the PSU exhaust.

Do ya think this fan would be better employed as an inlet or as I've configured it as an outlet

Comment

Why did ya get an aluminium HSF instead of a copper one? :confused:

And I certainly wouldn't turn that rear exhaust into an intake or ya'll really screw up ya airflow.

Comment

Cheers Wiggo.

TBH I never really even considered a copper heatsink. One of those'll come later when I've got somethin' underneath it worth cooling. ;)

Fitting a side fan - will I be able to splice the power feed into one of the other connectors in use because I'm clean out of fan connections now?

I know the obvious answer is get a new mobo (which is in th e pipeline) but I'm talking short-term interim here.

Comment

:D Hey ya'll.

I need a status report. I was lookin' at the Baybus 6-port Connector and I was wondering, Do ya'll know where I can get some Molex connection style fans?

Comment

Working...
              X