What do I use as an air filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I use as an air filter?

Just purchased the Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire, and I want to make some air filters for the intake fans... anyone know what I use?

You can buy them from various places, but generally the most accepted material used by tightwads (like me) are pantyhose. They provide the best dust protection at a minimum of airflow restriction. Filters do restrict airflow alot though, so make sure ya got a bunch of fans going to get some good CFM. Over and Out!

Comment

haha really?
      Well i have one 80mm in the front, one 80mm blowing over the HDD bays, one 90 mm in the side door, and one 90mm in the rear(3 intake, 1 exhaust)... I trust Thermaltake knows how to cool properly?

Comment

you should be fine. Just take all your system temps down at full load (SiSoft Burn in/Folding@Home/Prime95/ect.) Then go find a pair of stockings/pantyhose (If your a player, should be right by your bed/Girlfriends help alot, ask for a pair she has a run in)

Cut out a section, then just stretch it over one side of the fan (I prefereed the side which the fan was drawing the air from) and fasten with whatever works, rubber bands seem to do alright, and then take your temps. You only need filters on the intakes, so if it gets too high, just take 1 or 2 off.

Since you have 3 intake and 1 exhaust, this should balance your airflow too, as the general conses is the Intake CFM should only be slightly higher than exhaust CFM (this make positive case presure and blows dust out the small cracks in the case, instead of sucking it in).

Happy modding! :cheers:

Comment

Eh, even then it's going to be very lop sided (the two 92mm will cancel out, and then you still have two 80mm :rolleyes: ). You might want to invest in a rheobus for one of your 5.25" bays, and you can turn down some of the intake fans, balancing your airflow and making it a little quieter :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Uuuuuuh you do you know that the Thermaltake case comes with the 4-fan speed controller right?:thumb:

Comment

it's also supposed to come with fan filters on all the fans too 0_o

Comment

Blast, I always mix up which ones have rheobus's and which dont. Well, in that case, make good use of it :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
                X