Plz help the n00b with video fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plz help the n00b with video fan

I have a leadtek ti 4400 (old i know). It has two smallish fans on it as well as a large allumium heatsink on both sides of the card. My problem is one of the fans died. It had been making noise so i knew it would but being a n00b I sorta ingored it, I cleared away the filter in hopes that it would fix the problem. But now it appears the fan has pretty much died. It is still going around but not enough to produce air flow.

I found this out by having ut2k3 crash is a very odd way on me. My radar (the game i play uses radar) was all over the place and the trail behind the ball was missing. and I couldn't talk. I also couldn't press esc to get out of it (so i just switched to the desktop). Ut2k3 woudln't open agian becuase of an run time error

then after restarting my computer and trying the same map again everything was normal except the walls was black instead of grey like they are supposed to be
    So i have two questions:

1. can i get a replacement fan for my card. and if so how do i know what kind to get and where can i get it?

2. did i do permant damage to my card? is there any way to know, i am afraid to play any game for very long becuase i don't want my card to die on me (i have underclocked it about 10 mhz on both memory and vpu) but aside from a run time error the first time i played ut2k3 again everything is working alright. Should i start saving up for another card (not taking into acount the fact that my card is old)

I know this is a REALLY n00b fan question but i hope someone will help me because i dont know enough to fix this problem myself...i just joined a new clan so it would be sorta nice to be able to play with them... oo well.

You can look around and find any number of aftermarket GPU coolers for your video board. Though it is likely the card you use has heatsinks on the memory which explains the large metal monster on both sides of the board, these are not truly necessary. They do, however, help in dissipating heat from the RAM modules.

What you might look into are some small RAM heatsinks and one of the Zalman heatpipe coolers. Both items are available from most quality etailers and many hobbyist stores if you have these in your neighborhood. I can't get any closer to a WHERE comment than that as you failed to state where in the world you live.

Oh... and it is unlikely you did any damage to your board. If it cools down and then works fine, all is well. If you had damaged it you wouldn't be able to run your games properly anymore.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I suggest the Thermaltake GF4 Ti4xxx Cooler. Its all copper, has a quiet fan, copper RAM heatsinks, and is only 9 US Dollars, cant go wrong :)

Comment

thx for the info... i am worried about geting that huge heat sink off without damaging the anything else on the board, I had no idea how this thing is connected and i if I remember correct I have heard ppl who had problems geting the leadtek heatsink off (this was back when i was ocing my card and cpu)... I meantion agian i am a n00b. how hard it is for someone that really doesn't know thier way around hardware to use one of these after market heatsinks... for 9 dollars I would do it... though if i could just get a another fan that would be great... but it sounds like that might be hard from you responses. the current heatsink works fine (I don't think a newone would make a big difference when it came to ocing). But the fan may have been one designed to go into this praticular hole by the looks of it. thx again and any more help you could give would be great.

Comment

Being as the fan is still operational to an extent (admittedly, not much of an extent.).

Have you checked to see if any debris may be hampering the rotation speed?

Have you tried lubricating it?

Just a thought :?:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

hum lubercate it... I don't know how to do that either... but it was a making a noise and now it stoped my guess is it is dead or dying

Comment

Originally posted by Theberkin8or
              hum lubercate it... I don't know how to do that either... but it was a making a noise and now it stoped my guess is it is dead or dying
              Did ya even bother to check Mr. C's link? :?:

Comment

lol my bad not sure how missed that one :-p

Comment

Working...
                X