Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel heatsink stuck onto the CPU

Hi Guys,

Today when I removed the Intel heatsink, it also took away the CPU. So what is the safely latch that secures the CPU good for? Luckily, no pins were broken or bent. And hopefully the motherboard isn't damaged, although the machine did boot up after I put the CPU back in just to be sure.

Has anyone seen this problem before? And is there a way to avoid this?

I was just using the thermal film that came with the heatsink or if I used Arctic Silver this wouldn't of happen?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Johnny.

In other words it ripped the CPU out of socket when I removed the heatsink.

Comment

No it wouldn't have happened if you took off that black film crap. Also it will be very hard to get off now because once you run the cpu with that on, it gets melted and bonds with the heatsink/IHS.

If no pins are bent or missing then the CPU is probably OK. I haven't seen too many people tear the cpu out of the socket and not have any problems with it though, so it's a gamble. Put it back in and try it and let us know.

Comment

I know of ppl who have done this b4 but yes it's because the black has bonded the HSF and CPU together. Use a plastic knife to scape most of it off and then some isopropyl alcohol to remove the rest. Then use a proper heatsink grease (ASIII, 5 or similar quality) b4 remountin' the HSF though I have yet to hear of anyone damagin' the CPU in that way.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for your input.

Yes the CPU still works. Even though it does boot up, will there be any damage to the motherboard. I've inspected it and seems to be OK. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I still have a conscience that there is something damaged because the CPU did rip out of it's socket without me releasing the safety latch.

Comment

Maybe I should've said, "I have yet to hear of anyone damagin' the CPU or mobo in that way". The socket is not a vise and only puts enough pressure on the pins for a good electrical contact.

Comment

Thanks Wiggo. I had no idea the socket worked that way.

Comment

Re: Intel heatsink stuck onto the CPU

i had this same prob with my 2.4 the darn thing was stuck on to it when i tried to install an aeromaster 4 onto it resulting in me puuling it out real hard now whern i tried to put it back it doesnt boot up and its pretty scary i am using my other pc currently its a damn mess and i tried to scrape some of that black **** off but it doesnt come off and also to my dismay i notice some pins bent can i rectify this? i need it badly also once u place the heatsink into the socket and before fastening should u use force and push the darn thign down? (CPU)

thanx guys for all ur info

Comment

Working...
                X