Which fan cools better? Thermaltake or Antec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which fan cools better? Thermaltake or Antec

Ok, right now I have a standard 80mm thermaltake on front intake, using a fan contoller to set it at low or medium, depending on the cooling I need. I'd rather get a Smart fan, so that it can control itself (much more convenient) and so I can free up my D-bracket fan controller to use on my cyclone blower. The question is, what smart fan do I get? I already ruled out vantec's, cause they arent as good (through reading specifications) as thermaltake's or antec's. Here are the links:

Antec: http://www.antec-inc.com/pdf/80mm_smartcool.pdf
    Thermaltake: http://www.thermaltake.com/accessori...tfan/a1357.htm

Which seems better? At first look, the thermaltake does cause it can operate more quietly while still moving a good amount of air, and its top speed moves and insane amount of air, but I'll never reach it. However, it seems to puch mroe CFM at lower noise. SO I'm leaning towards thermaltake right now. Anybody used either of these before and can give me some feed back? I'll be using the temp probe and placing it right next to my video card, so when it heats up, the fan will boost up. Thx, : peace2: Mista K6

And you trust manufacturer's dB ratings?

Go the Antec.

PS: Thermally controlled fans are a right pain in the ass, I would reccomend getting a rheobus type device over thermally controlled fans.

and people should learn how to use the edit button

Comment

I've got a few SMART CASE FAN II's sittin' in a cupboard here as I couldn't stand the noise that they made in my server plus standard 34cfm fans are very quiet. Do ya have a pic or link to ya case? :?:

Comment

Well, that's the problem. I have absolutely NO drive bays left, so a rheobus controller is out. Here's a pic of my case (it isnt mine tho, I think this was stolen from zerokool? lol, thx mate :thumb: ). My DVD-ROM and CD-RW are in the top, my floppy is in the first 3.5" bay, and I leave the other one open as an intake bay for the 60mm fan I have in the back of it (red circle), which blows on the CPU. It's like a BTX design almost :p . The 80mm fan in question is the one in the front lower side of the left panel (blue circle). Right now, I have a standard Thermaltake 80mm fan, they said it made max 30dB @34CFM, BS, it was closer to 35-37dB. Anyways, I have a D-Bracket H-L-M switch that I turned it down to low on, and sometimes I boost it up to medium if I'm playing games and its warm out (no worries now tho, its winter here :thumb: ). I was hoping a thermally controlled fan would take care of that, so that I then could turn down my blower. Right now, I'm getting about 20-30CFM more out than in, so no good. The thermally controlled fan would be more convenient, and the temp ambient around my vid card (where I wouldp lace the sensor) never gets about 35C (the heat spreader's themselves only go up to 40-42C). I was also going to replace the fan in the back of my case with an Antec Smartfan 92mm, as the standard one from Dell is getting old and it's a bit noisy. Anyways, I was reading them both again, and the thermaltake fan just looks too good to be true. So maybe I will get the two antecs. Any other opinions/suggestions? Thx alot, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Have considered just replacin' the case with one that has much better airflow to start with? :?:

Comment

Nah, this case already has excellent air flow for what's in it, probably too much. It's not worth my time, effort, or money to get a new case and fans; if I did, I'd also build a new comp to go with it. I feel it's ludicrous just to switch 2 year old parts into a new case. However, I won't build a new comp till PCI-Express comes out, so in the mean time I'm trying to run this at its greatest capacity. It's actually a fun challenge to mod something that's totally un-moddable. Anyways, I'm going with the antec fan. I read a review that did both and the antec lived up to claims while, suprise, the thermaltake did not. Thx for replying tho, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
            X