Best HeatSink For My Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best HeatSink For My Budget

What's the general idea around here for the best HeatSink/Fan combo OR other mod (such as maybe an 80mm fan with a tunnel or duct attached to the HS) for a non-OC'd XP2200? This machine crunches SETI 24 hrs a day & share some tight spaces with 6 others.
    The others are an XP2400, 2-XP1700's, 2-Duron 1.33?'s, & a P3.06. None of these are OC'd, except the P4, and they stay around 48 C. All of them have the recommended stock HS/Fan combo on them cause that's all they ever need.
    The 2200 IS well ventilated, properly installed, all that good stuff, but for some odd reason, it stays around 54 C. It also has just the stock HS/Fan on it. More case fans, moving the thing, etc. is not practical. Also, I'm not looking for water-cooling or other exotic ways, although I do realize these would probaly be the best.
    I'm just wanting the absolute best, BUT affordable, HS for it--say up to $30. Actually, it's never had a problem at all with 54 for the month or so it's been running, with MAYBE a half-dozen reboots, but I'd ultimately like to know that it's under 50 C without having to look at it, if you know what I mean.
    The 3 I've been contemplating are (can't remember names):

#1-One with a barrel-shaped "squirrel cage" on it. It looks pretty heavy though.
    #2-One with about a hundred small rods on it that mold theirselves to the CPU/Socket.
    #3-One with 2 or 3 fans on top, although I believe these are made mostly for Slot A's.

Is one of these the best, or is their another one. Thanks in advance for your help.

I use the Volcano 7+ on all my Athlons (medium speed) and P4's (low speed) and all are overclocked.

Comment

If you could push it to $35 you could go for a Spire WhisperRock 4, about as good as a stock cooler but without the noise.

Comment

i would get the termaltake silent boost. great cooling, is only 35 buz canadian, and can take a 2500+ at 2.0ghz with 44degrees Maxx load.

Comment

another vote for the Tt Silent Boost here, and you can find it for less that $30 US :thumb:

There are quite a few good HSFs out there, I'm just becoming rather fond of this one

Comment

I was actually looking at one of the Silent Boost late last night. Thanks ya'll.

Comment

Working...
            X