Need Some Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice

Hi there, first of all, let me admit to being a complete newbie when it comes to cooling.
    I have recently upgraded some parts of my computer and when I looked the system temperature I realised that I didn't know what it should be!

So, can anyone tell me:

1. What kinda temps should my system be running at.
    2. What cooling solutions should I look into (I am not overclocking or anything like that, just want a cool stable system).
    3. Any general tips or advice?

My PC:
    AMD Athlon XP2400
    1GB DDR SDRAM
    128MB Geforce4800ti
    200GB Hard Drive (I note this as it kicks out stupid amounts of heat! Cant be good...)

I enjoy case modding (as far as fun lighting and windows etc :P), so if anyone knows of decent case mod retailers in the UK, that would be great too :)

Thanks!

If you want some good reliable modder suppliers i would go for:

Overclockers UK - This is where i buy most of my stuff from and have had noo problems with them. They have been great and v.reliable.

Kustom PCS UK - Again, another reliable company - they are still small so "care" about there customers.

I wouldn't use DaBs or Scan cause basically they are crap.

Ta Ta Steve W (Mr Scuff)

Comment

1/ No one can really say as a lot depends on ya case's airflow, the HSF that ya usin' and the room's temp that ya got it in.

2/ If the system becomes cooler with the side off then ya have an airflow prob with the case and untill that is fixed then a better HSF won't help a great deal.

3/ Give us answer to no.2 and then we'll go further but I'm happy with full load temps <50C.

Comment

Comment

Comment

So, there are no front intake fans on your case? I would mod one in there, even if you have to cut through the bezel to get some air in there. On my main machine, I cut a 120mm in, as well as another 120mm in the floor of the case and raised the feet. I wouldn't recommend the top fan being an intake, as heat rises. The direction of flow is best when it angles from the front/bottom to the top/rear of the case. I have also used the approach of more yet quieter fans, and I can affirm that it works, but position and direction of flow are the keys to getting the quietest and most efficient system.
            I just built a system for a client using a really cheap case with a fan in the side. The hole is just over the CPU in the middle of the case. I didn't check it, and they'd installed the fan at the factory blowing out! Once I realized what had happened and switched it around, the CPU temp dropped 10C! I only used 3 fans (one 80mm front intake, 80mm side intake and 80mm rear exhaust, plus the single PSU fan) and that stock XP2000+ runs at 31c and nearly silent, even with the stock AMD heatsink and thermal pad. Wiggo has a diagram he's been posting showing the optimum airflow pattern, which coincidentally is about exactly the pattern that AMD has as a reference design on their website. Hope you get it all sussed. :cheers:

Comment

Well shiver me timbers, there IS a 120mm fan space in the front of my case. The plastic front panel has no holes or anything so I assumed there wasn't, but inside is clearly the mounting position for a 120. Should I put one in? It seems to my feeble brain that pulling the air through would be difficult with no holes in the outer casing?

If I had a 120mm intake at front, and 2 80mm exhausts at back, would that be adeqaute? I have room for a 80mm fan in top and side as well, so should I have an intake in side/top too?
              I use a 4 fan controller, so would rather have either 4 fans max, or find some way to link the 2 rear exhaust fans to one channel... is that possible?

Its all so confuuuuuuusing!! :P :?: :idea:

Comment

Yes, pulling air without holes is quite difficult. That is why God made Dremel tools :D . Your average to lower quality cases often have a very small slot under the front bezel for drawing air in. This is not only an inadequate size, but is usually blocked by the front USB/Firewire/Mic and headphone jacks. A typical mod is to cut slots, a hole or some other opening through the front of the bezel to improve front of case airflow. It's not hard, and if you're creative and careful, can look pretty cool. I recommend if you take this mod on to figure some kind of filter out for it (A used dryer sheet fastened around the fan with a rubber band works well). Also, in reference to your earlier question, having the computer set on a carpeted floor can block that bezel slot, not to mention it will vacuum up dirt into your computer.
                As to your dual fan question....yes, it's fine to put more than one fan per rheobus channel, as long as the draw in watts is less than the maximum capacity of the channel. Typically, a single channel is rated at 20W, and your typical 80mm fan is rated at 2.5W or so. Just make sure to hook them up in parallel, though to lower noise you can also hook them up in series and each fan will run on 6V, at roughly half the speed. As to whether you SHOULD have a top or side fan....well, that's entirely up to you. Before I would add more fans (And consequently more noise), try cutting the stamped fan grills out of the case. They can block as much as 70% of your airflow, and add a considerable amount of noise due to air friction. Open that case up a bit and let it breathe. I'm sure you'll see a signifigant improvement in overall cooling. After all that, you can justify a new HS/F and do some serious OCing!
                Good luck with it mate! :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                X