FAn + PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAn + PSU

Can we attach a fan to the psu instead of the motherboard? currently got 3 slots on mobo for fans and only connected CPU fan. idle temp on 2600AMD processor is 50degrees. How else can i cool the system?
    Got some silver compound but forgot to put it on before I installed the heatsink. Is there any other way I can install it?
    Thanks
    :cheers:
    Eye See You..........

ummm, yes.
    Get a molex connector and swap it with the connector on the fan. Doing so WILL of course negate any fan monitoring that might take place through the motherboard, if you're motherboard is designed with this feature.

DO apply the thermal paste!

That link has good instructions for doing so. Be certain both the CPU core and heatsink base are clean before applying.

Apply the paste now! Running without it is oh so NOT reccomended.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Take the time to reinstall the heatsink, as thermal compound will eliminate airgaps that can be death to your processor. You should see a very signifigant temp drop.
      As for cooling fans: Yes, by all means run your fans off the PSU rather than motherboard headers, unless your motherboard has monitoring features you would like to use. If they're all 3-pin fans, just get adapters to 4-pin Molex connectors.
      Welcome to TweakTown! :cheers:

Comment

hi,
        thanks for all your replies. any ideas where i can get a molex adaptor?

Thanks again
        Eye See You..........

Comment

Originally posted by lionofjudah
          any ideas where i can get a molex adaptor?
          just about any online comp. store should have a selection

Comment

You can also purchase one with a yellow rpm wire attached so you can still connect it to the motherboard header for monitoring fan rpm.

Chez

Comment

I agree, you can monitor the fan rpm even if you power it from the psu. Just be sure to connect the yellow one to ya mobo.

Comment

Working...
              X