60 mm stealth fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 mm stealth fan

ok here is ma problem. i want to run my pc 24/7 but it has an annoying fan inside. its 60 mm and it has no brand on it. i have an aluminium HSF, and no 80 mm mounting spot so my 3 options are:

1. get a vantec noiseless 60mm fan

2. get a fan converter so i can out an 80mm noisless fan

3. get a rheostat so i can turn it down.

these appeal to me BECAUSE

1. cheaper, less hassle installing, all i want to know is will it do an acceptable job (im not going to o/c)

2. better performance, but i dont really care unless i have instabilities due to heat

3. seems risky, as i may turn it down too far before i go to bed and wake up to a toasted CPU

just asking for your thoughts, guys.

oh i forgot one thing, i have one blowhole at front bottom and one at back middle for 80mm fans. i have a .18 micron williamette :(. this machine is used for light gaming, homework and F@H (which i want to run 24/7)

MANY THANKS

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The 80mm Fan with adaptor might work for ya those these are usually less efficient and I've never been a fan of rheostats as they do tend to wear out with usage but have ya considered a simple 7v/12v fanbus switch? Myself a fairly good copper HSF with a quiet fan would do better as the copper would get rid of heat better and they don't require the same airflow from a fan as an aluminium one does. But what CPU are ya runnin'? :?:

Comment

i have a .18 micron williamette .
      well that answers your qn :laugh:

no, seriously thanks for the suggestions, i dont really want to buy a copper hsf as i don think any are available. i just need to know what cfm i could get away with. i also looked at some akasa dampening mats www.overclockers.co.uk that seemed good. one more thing, im a stinge so i dnt want 2 spend money!

thanks wiggo (what your real name out of interest?)

: peace2:

james

Comment

Well a few ppl call me Darrell but 99% just call me Wiggo anyway (goes with the surname of Wiggins). With the P4 ya don't have to worry about it burnin' out as it will throttle itself down at around 75C and shut itself down if that doesn't help. I use a Volcano 7+ on my 2.4B @ 2.7GHz (crappy core won't go no further) on low speed (no noise) though a Spark 7 should be as good or try a 34-40cfm 80mm fan (these are usually quiet in that range) on an adaptor but the 7v/12v switch is easy to setup as well on ya current fan (and the cheapest option) which will certainly cut the noise of it at sleep times. The mattin' is fairly costly though and in some cases will raise internal temps to some degree.

Comment

yes i considered the volcano 7+ as ppl seem to worship it in these forums..............that was until i ran cpuid. DAMN SOCKET 423 and no1 makes hsf for them nemore that are silent. im just gonna bung on a 60mm silent or get an adaptor and see how it goes, i dont care what temps i get as i cannot o/c on an intel mobo.

cheers
          :afro:

Comment

Those 423 sockets really suck so yeah ya'll have to decide on which the last two options then. :tears:

Comment

go to xoxide.com for Socket 423 HSF. Also, stock intel coolers work pretty well for williamette's. Try em out, they're cheap and usually quiet. And yes, Williamette's suck incredibly :cry: *dreams of building a new Clawhammer 64 based PC; sigh*. :D : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
              X