Cooling Probelms.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Probelms.....

I bought a Thermalright SLK 800U with hopes of being able to overclock my 3000+ xp with a 400 fsb. I am using Arctic Silver III thermal greese to connect the cpu to the heat sink yet my processor temperture still hovers at 40.00c while idle while the case temperature averages about 27c.

Any thoughts on how I can lower this as my idle seems high for stock speeds (Overclocking it to 2.3 only gives rise to a 1c in temperature....).

Everything is set stock in the mother board settings (Abit nf7-s).

I am using the 80mm Panaflo U1A fan which is rated at 46cfm and has the label pointing towards the heat sink....

I'm not totally familiar with the Panaflo fans, but there should be a pair of arrows on one of the sides of the fan. One shows the direction of travel for the fan blades and the other points toward the direction of actual airflow. Make sure that the airflow arrow is pointing toward the processor.

If it is set up correctly, then I'd double check to make sure that the sink is seated properly on the socket, and then make sure that it is firmly attached. The large difference between interior temps and processor temps indicate a problem with the sink and not case airflow. I generally have only a 3-4 degree separation between the two.

If everything still looks good, then you might get hold of a thermal probe and take temperatures with that to make sure that the thermal diodes on the mainboard are giving accurate results.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the help. I tried to do what you suggested and managed to only get 2 degree's off the processor (However my case temperature went down 2 degrees too ). Is it possible I might have a defective heatsink??

Comment

That's not uncommon at all. Remember that bios temps for every board are different. You can only compare them to the exact same board with the exact same bios version.

I have an NF7 as well with version 17 bios, and my CPU idles about 42 degrees with a Swiffy MCX462+ and 80mm Smartfan 2 @ 4000rpm.

Your temps are fine.

Comment

1/ What is ya room temp at the time the temps are taken (this is important as a lot depends on the room temp)?
          2/ Idle temps really don't mean that much but 100% CPU load temps do and that is the important one so what are they?
          3/ What case do ya have (a link or pic will help a lot)? :?:

Comment

My room temp is a average 70F.

I just burned my chip for 20min and it jumped 5 degrees to 41 (It was sitting at 36 at the start of the test). My case temp jumped from 23 to 25 during the test.

My case is a lian li pc-7 (The one with 2 fans in front and 1 exhaust fan).

Sitting at 36 for idle seems more right now, however is the 13 degree difference in case and chip good?? It seems with my set up my chip should be around 30 or so..right??

Also sitting in my case is dual sata raptor hard drives in a cage directly behind the exhaust fans (they sit about an inch apart) and the only other thing generating heat would be a radeon 9600 pro.

Thanks again for all the quick replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Diode
              My room temp is a average 70F.

I just burned my chip for 20min and it jumped 5 degrees to 41 (It was sitting at 36 at the start of the test). My case temp jumped from 23 to 25 during the test.
              Well that's 22C so ya keepin' it with 20C of the room temp so that's ok.

[b]My case is a lian li pc-7 (The one with 2 fans in front and 1 exhaust fan).
              Nothin' wrong with that case.

[b]Also sitting in my case is dual sata raptor hard drives in a cage directly behind the exhaust fans (they sit about an inch apart)....
              Those front fans in front of the drive cage I hope are intakes and not exhausts.

Comment

Yea I meant intake fans...woops.

Comment

Working...
                X