CFM Equation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFM Equation?

Is there a mathematical way to work out how much cfm a fan is pushing? just curious coz i found some reallllly old fans the otherday and theres no specs at all...

:cheers:

The Evolved One

there isn't an equation that i know of to compute the cfm, but if there was it'd need to be really complex, taking into account the efficiency of the fan design (angle of the blades) and the rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by The Evolved One
      Is there a mathematical way to work out how much cfm a fan is pushing? just curious coz i found some reallllly old fans the otherday and theres no specs at all...

:cheers:

The Evolved One
      Yep with a CRAY and a highly sophisticated modeling system. Much easier to just measure it.

CFM dosn't matter much anyway... It's all bout airspeed BABY :)

Comment

cfm...isn't that airflow of your computer? If it is...doesn't that really matter? It would also drop the cpu temp about 5 degrees?
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

CFM is a volume/time measuremnt. a large fan can move a higher volume at even a slow speed. Convective cooling in regards to AIR is 99% dependent on two variables. AIRSPEED and AIR TEMPERATURE. Unfortunately fan manufacturers do not measure airspeed as it is not consistant across the diameter of a fan.:(

Comment

just in case someone doesnt know CFM stands for CubicFeetperMinute.
            So X rating in CFM means how many (X) CUBIC FEET (1ft x 1ft x 1ft) can a fan move in 1 minute.
            :2cents:

Comment

Working...
            X