amd xp 2600: cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amd xp 2600: cooling

I have an amd 2600 and I got an ahanix iceberg cooler but my cpu still runs at 62 deg. (C)... should I consider returning my cpu for a diff. one, or what? my xp 1700 runs at about 40 deg. (C) on the same setup.

if I should go to regular aircooled heatsink/fan combos, then what is the highest performance coolers I can find?

62deg is a little too high. I wouldn't run mine over 50.

That looks like it is the water cooling kit that runs a little under a $100. From a couple reviews I read, they say it is a pretty good cooler. Good bang for the buck.
    Could you possibly have it installed improperly, or air in the system.
    I am not familiar enough to give you a good assessment. Although 62deg, is way too high for air, especially water cooling. It sounds to me like something is a little off in the setup possibly.

Good luck,
    Chez

Comment

I prefer the Volcano 7+ myself but have ya made sure that the HSF is mounted correctly (clip not back to front? ya not usin' the dedicated fan power lines that some PSU's have now to power the HSF?)? :?:

Comment

Wiggo,

I noticed that with my new Antec. It has one cord with 2 molexs that say fan only on them.
        What are so special about these? I know they are for fans, but do you know what is special about them?

I guess then you just run the RPM wire to the mobo.

Chez

Comment

Those "fan only" connectors are thermally controlled by temps generated within the PSU so these don't often run at full power. No matter what HSF I've used I've only ever run the monitorin' wire to the mobo and powered straight from the PSU.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't run fans off a mobo header for a while now. Once I found out a buddy burned (literally) his mobo by running 4 fans in series off his mobo header! It literally burned marks along the trace lines on the mobo.
            Usually the mobo fan headers are only rated for less than 3 amps. Not much....

I am still curious about the fan only lines off the power supply. Such as amperage and such. Mine came modded, sleeved ect.( I especially liked the way the put in 90deg angled molex connectors, so I didn't get the box and paperwork that normally comes with power supply.
            My 500A Raidmax didn't come with the special lines.

I can't say enough about how much I like the modded PS from performance-pcs.com though.

I am addicted to sleeving/heatshrinking ALL of my wires inside my computer. It looks really nice.

I will post some pics if I can. Can you upload them, or do you have to have them hosted, then linked?
            I am almost finished with the system in my sig. I am proud of it. It took a lot of work, time, patience, and 4x for a company to ship me the right case!!!
            AND making an a$$ of myself(while dealing with my wife and divorce) when I tried asking for help, and got my special SPAM nominee title.
            Which I hope to gain back some integrity to get the title removed.....Beefy.......pleeeeaaasssee! :o :o :o :?:

Chez

Comment

The "fan only" connectors are meant to be used with case fans so that the PSU controls the airflow within the case to keep a preset temp (which I don't know atm). Powerin' fans off ya mobo can also reduce the amount of o/c that ya can get as well.

Ya can attach 1 pic per post by usin' the Attach file facility just above the reply buttons when postin' ya reply. ;)

Comment

Working...
              X