Silent Cooler for HTPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Cooler for HTPC

OK, this is definitely not in the extreme cooling category, but I've recently put together the rudiments of what will be my HTPC, for PVR, MP3s, TV Tuner, etc...(Oh, and games too, of course;))
    It's a Chaintech 7NIF2 Summit mATX board, a non OCed XP 1800+ housed in a Maxtop Model CSX-001 mATX mini-tower case. Still planning to get a quiet HD, fanless GPU, etc, but for now, I'm trying to work out the cooling. I've already replaced the single front 80mm fan with a 92mm Zalman quiet fan with the resistor mod, and wired the 2 rear 60mm fans in series, giving them each 6V to run on. I slapped on a stock AMD HS/F for a Barton 2500+ with the copper core, but it's running at 45C idle :eek:
    What I'm looking for is the best quiet and low-profile HS solution. A Thermalright SLK 800 U might fit, but height is also very tight. Basically, all the height clearance I have is the same as a stock AMD HS/F. I was empirically measuring, and a copper HS like a 7+ or a Globalwin CAK II, which I already have could work with a 70-80mm thin(15mm or less) fan. H2O isn't a viable option, and I don't think I have the room for a Peltier. Any other ideas as to where I could go with this project?

from the way the pic looked your volcano would work with the angled ducting mod that thermaltake has. it should move the fan away enough to clear the cd-drive.

Comment

Not a bad idea NightStalker, but as I mentioned, height is a real issue. This case has a depth that's about 1 cm past the PCI slot mounts. I haven't been able to find any height dimensions for it, but it looks pretty tight. Also, that ducting mod puts the fan at an angle that could interfere with the PSU. I'm considering mounting a quiet 80mm fan on the case side directly over a good copper HS with a duct attached to direct the air....kind of a pain to remove, but could give me the cooling I need for the CPU despite what caseflow it will block. I read one review of that TT ducting mod that made the CPU temps go down, but case temps went up by 4-5 degrees.
      I removed the front stealth bezel and gained a bit more clearance to the DVD drive. Looks like a TT 7+ might even fit, but the stock fan is too loud.
      Any other ideas?

Comment

I'm quite interested in this ThermalTake Silent Boost after trying a cheapo Globalwin with a 80mm fan...it fits just fine, but cools for sh*t...Right now with AS3 instead of the stock HS/F and thermal pad, it's running a degree hotter...

Comment

Working...
        X