about custom cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about custom cases

does anyone know where i can get a custom case? i just don't mean windows and lights. i mean a case i designed.

if i had some money i would try and start a little side thing for custom cases. i have all these ideas and no way to share them with the world.

Get ya self an old PC chassis and some good timber and go for it. ;)

Comment

that's a great idea. but i'm not sure i can get the parts i need to make the designs i have in mind. most of it has to do with changing the case shape and some special window cutting which i don't have all the equipment to do.

i'll have to sit and think of what i can do to get it done.

thanks for the idea though.

Comment

Depends on what you want it made outta... I'm designing a case (spherical, resting on a triangular base, which houses the usb ports, power/reset button, and led lights)... Made it outta metal (alluminum), and plexiglass... Had to have the metal machined (wasn't too expensive), and had a friend mold the plexiglass for me... It's almost done, i'll post pics when she complete...

Anyway :) Good luck.

Comment

suicide,

how did you ge the machining done? and how much did it cost? i used to be a draftsman so i can get the drawings and specs done. i just don't know where to get the machining done.

i deffinately would like to see your case when it's done.

Comment

At a local machine shop. I took in my cad designs and basically said, "Here's what I want done... Can you do it?" (long and the short of it of course :D)... Anyway, cost me 225 CDN$ to get done (I did the triangular base (which also encapsulates the PSU, as well as all ports (port redirection basically... Gonna be using extensions (for now) to reroute the ps/2 ports, usb ports, etc all to the base... Maybe later on, make something a little less brute)).

The case is 45cm long on the base on each of the 3 sides, and stands 8cm tall. The sphere is going to be (when fully assembled, remember two parts. about 6 cm on the bottom of the sphere is made of metal, as it'll be sliding and I don't want to crack the plexiglass... The sphere will measure 55 cm in diameter. (2.5 cm == 1 inch)

Comment

hey, that sounds pretty sweet, plz post some pics when ur done!

//alias

Comment

I also tried to build a wooden case. Unfortunately I didn't quite finish it. Once I get settled in my new home I hope to have the inspiration back again. But my real goal is to make a pc out of a beer case. I've seen some on the net and they are so cool:afro:

Comment

Working...
                X