homemade rounded cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malabooboo
    so are you saying I need to try modding my own and fail just everyone else before shelling out the cash and buying real ones? :rolleyes:
    Who failed:?:
    My homemade rounded cables work great.
    OK, not as pretty -- but they transfer data as good as any.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I think that he's worried about the look thru his window. ;)

Go get the pre-done ones as ya can get them in any length to suit most setups (I use a 12" one for my HDD/s and an 18" one for the ROM drives) but be warned that ones longer than 18" can cause probs as they are "out of spec" cables. :devil win
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

it's all about the look... :D

so the signal degrades after 18" or so?

Comment

Yes and that's why the standard was set at 18". ;)

Comment

got 'em a my local computer show last weekend.

LOTS more room!

I'll post pics soon...

it'll be nice once serial ATA gets more popular though

Comment

I never had a problem with making my own....split them, wrap em with electrical tape, and get a length of wire loom from your local auto parts store....works great, looks better. my 2 cents

Comment

Actually, I have a neat little way to do rounded IDE cables w/o cutting them or using electrical tape. All you need is some split loom tubing (can be had at car stores) and <strike>some</strike> a lot of pull ties. Do a W fold on the IDE lengths (do one section at a time) and then slip the tubing over the cable. Now start at one end of the section and work in one direction from their using the pull ties every so often. For the shorter length on the IDE part 2-3 is usually good enough; for the longer section, 5-6 is what you wanna use.

Comment

Working...
                X