• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigarette lighter built into PCs

Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Yes I was just over there and I immediately thought that this could've saved Mr.C some time on doin' the mod himself but it's a little on the pricey side though. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

"Washer for drilling the hole"

What is it they are lighting:p
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I saw that too, and I was concerned that a cigarette lighter might cause a lot of draw on the PS. I can't remember if an automotive lighter is on a 15 or 20 amp fuse.

Comment

8-10amp and will work. ;)

Comment

Interesting, I thought it was a bigger draw than that.

Comment

V x A = W

I'd say it's a pretty good drain, I've never tried mine while playing a game or doing anything intense.
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I've seen a LANner with his own cigarette lighter modded into his pooter. He didnt use it for the obvious purpose though - rather for his coffee thermos :)

Comment

There is a nice variety of 12V appliances on this page;
                  Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

A pizza oven & popcorn popper and he'd be set for the weekend:D

Comment

Also whippin' a lighter socket plug onto a 120mm fan ya can use it for personal coolin' (ya may need some weight to anchor the fan though as I find that they push themselves across my workbench and ya's should see a 7K Y.S.Tech scream across it). :devil win
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

/me doesn't smoke :p

Nice idea though... I wonder when they will have coke dispencer.. :D

w00t!

Comment

Hey guys, my first logon/post in TT forums for a LONG time.

Just the other day I made a cig lighter socket on my new Antec 180AMG case. I needed it to recharge my Tigerlight 8" FBOP, since it isn't available in Aust with 240V A/C charger.

If anyone is thinking of attempting it, don't put it in the centre like the pic from FrozenCPU's pre-made ones, instead put it to 1 side. Because as you plug the cig adapter into it, the plastic faceplate will warp and bend inwards and it'll break if you push too hard. Off to 1 side, it's closer to where the flaceplate grips the edge of the case, which helps with strength.

I wish I have dig cam to show you all. I'm quite proud of my work, as I took all due care and the end result looks factory finish. :)

For my use as a torch/flashlight recharger, it draws 500mA which is a miniscule amount, but yeah there is a worry if you're going to plug in 10Watt+ devices such as Peltier cooled esky, etc.
                        Onyx

TweakTown
                        OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                        CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

You do make an excellent point Onyx!
                          He speaks truth.

Comment

Added this mod to my girlfriend's machine last night. Found a nice chrome one at WalMart for $3US and did it myself. Oh, she uses it for the intended purpose...:devil:

Comment

I do like hearing from a fellow do-it-yourselfer:thumb:

I might suggest she allow the business end of that mod to cool a bit before replacing it back in the socket -- what with heat being the concern it is to hardware and all:)

Comment

Working...
                              X